We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time to see State Capitol/Culture Center/Museum?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
50 reviews
How much time to see State Capitol/Culture Center/Museum?

Looking to hit the State Capitol/Culture Center/State Museum all in the same day. First, is that realistic? If so, how much time should be budgeted for each? Second, ... Advice on which to start at, so as to be near the cafeteria in the capitol bldg around lunchtime? Lastly, anyone know the time limitations on the metered parking in the area? Will I need to re-feed the meter at some point during the day, and/or move my car? Are there better parking options?

Thanks in advance. :)

West Virginia
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: How much time to see State Capitol/Culture Center/Museum?

I took my young granddaughters to the museum and we spent 2 hours - - we didn't spend much time actually looking at all the exhibits. The museum is in the Cultural Center. Besides the gift shop & State Archives, I'm not sure if there is anything else in the Cultural Center for visitors. The Archives is like a library but the focus is genealogy and history - this is where researchers go to find copies of vital records, deeds, etc. I would allow 1/2 hr to 1 hr for the Capitol building.

There is a parking garage at the State Capitol as well as metered parking. I've only used metered and I've used it for up to 4 hours. I am not sure of the limit before you have to feed it again (you do not have to move your vehicle).

Edited: 30 December 2016, 14:15
West Virginia
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: How much time to see State Capitol/Culture Center/Museum?

If you have children, be sure to sop by the front desk at the Cultural Center and pick up the scavenger hunt booklet. It has photos of items for kids to look for in the museum and makes it more fun for the kids. When done, take it back to the desk. My grandkids were given a little prize.

Also, if you have children with you, make a stop at the Clay Center (a few blocks from the Capitol). There is a fun climbing sculpture and the lower level has been remodeled into a city. There are also activities for kids on the main level (this will be remodeled next year).

www.theclaycenter.org/discovery-museum/

I recently did a review on My Town with photos.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
11,549 posts
153 reviews
3. Re: How much time to see State Capitol/Culture Center/Museum?

LvSun gave good advice. You won't need much time to tour the Capitol and look thru the Cultural Center. If the weather is decent you might want to take a look at the WV Veterans Memorial on the grounds. Very moving for those of us with family members names engraved. (my uncle..Navy..WWII)

charlestonwv.com/listing/west-virginia-state…

http://www.wvcapitolfoodcourt.com/

www.wvculture.org/agency/cultcenter.html

wvculture.org/history/wvmemory/wvvets.html

Have a good visit!

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,291 posts
3,302 reviews
4. Re: How much time to see State Capitol/Culture Center/Museum?

Beachy,

Thanks for the links.

5. Re: How much time to see State Capitol/Culture Center/Museum?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2018, 02:18
Get answers to your questions about Charleston