We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spokane vs Spokane Valley/Liberty lake

British Columbia
Level Contributor
331 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Spokane vs Spokane Valley/Liberty lake

We have been visiting Spokane for many years and have always stayed either downtown or northtown, enjoy Riverfront Park, the many places to eat and drink and shop. But, we are trying to explore new ground so I am asking, why should i visit Spokane Valley or Liberty Lake - instead.

We are middle aged folks (60ish) who love of mix of walking/light-hiking, or biking, exploring small towns, love finding new pubs and wineries and she loves to shop. Is Spokane Valley an actual city - as well as Liberty Lake or are they one in the same, and are they more spread out than the downtown and riverfront park of Spokane. If possible we love to stay close enough to walk to shopping and dining.............but would be happy to drive to find some trails - easy ones.

Mentioned in this post
Riverfront Park
Riverfront Park
1,742 Reviews
Spokane, WA
Liberty Lake
Liberty Lake
Washington
Wollnick's General Store
Gift & Speciality Shops
Auntie's Bookstore
Gift & Speciality Shops
Steam Plant Square
Shopping Malls, Points of Interest & Landmarks
2 replies to this topic
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Spokane vs Spokane Valley/Liberty lake

No. I mean, it’s been a few years, but Spokane Valley is more like a suburb/strip mall community. Liberty Lake is even more suburb like. Downtown Spokane is where you want to be.

If you wanted to try something entirely different, you could stay in Downtown Coeurdalene.

Mentioned in this post
Liberty Lake
Liberty Lake
Washington
Downtown Spokane
Downtown Spokane
549 Reviews
Spokane, WA
Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
72 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spokane vs Spokane Valley/Liberty lake

Hi!

Spokane Valley and Liberty Lake are indeed separate cities, although they all run together. Both are spread out a lot more than the downtown Spokane area. They are not real walk-able. Spokane Valley has the Spokane Valley Mall area that you can stay and shop and eat and walk along the Centennial Trail for miles. The Valley Mall is our largest mall in the area. Liberty Lake is a smaller community and there is still not a whole lot out there. The hotel is across the highway from most of the stores and restaurants. There is at this time only 2 shopping centers which consist of grocery stores and hardware mostly. There are a couple of really cool places like a wonderful wine tasting room and a couple of small restaurants. BUT the lake activities have not started yet. The Centennial Trail runs across the north side of I-90.

If you really want to branch out a little please look into Coeur d'Alene ID, it is only 27 miles further east on I-90. The downtown area there is very walkable with the large Coeur d'Alene resort right in the heart of downtown. There is a 2 mile walking trail called Tubbs Hill. It really is a beautiful area.

Of course Downtown Spokane is also really nice, as you know.

I hope this helps.

K

Mentioned in this post
Liberty Lake
Liberty Lake
Washington
Spokane Valley Mall
Spokane Valley Mall
72 Reviews
Spokane, WA
Centennial Trail
Centennial Trail