We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Davenport Grand good to stay in April 2018?

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
571 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Davenport Grand good to stay in April 2018?

Have read about the construction/improvements being made at Riverfront Park, so would it still be a good idea to stay at the Davenport Grand? Is there a river view there? Is is walkable to the downtown area with shops, restaurants, etc or should I stay at one of the other Davenports...are they located more in the downtown area? Never been to Spokane, need help!

Mentioned in this post
Riverfront Park
Riverfront Park
1,742 Reviews
Spokane, WA
Martin Woldson Theater at the Fox
Theatres, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Centennial Trail
Biking Trails, Equestrian Trails, Hiking Trails
6 replies to this topic
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
3,925 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Davenport Grand good to stay in April 2018?

They’re all downtown. I prefer historic Davenport, partly because of the great bar and partly because it’s more “surrounded” by downtown. But Spokane downtown is not a large place. You might be talking about a 5-10 minute walk. Your access to restaurants doesn’t change that much. If you want to split hairs, I think the Grand is a little better in terms of restaurant access- it’s a block or two from the Italian places I like and the onion. You can cut through the park for Clinkerdaggers.

I can’t say about the view. It would depend on the room- how high up you are. It’s not right on the river. It’s across the street, and I think it faces the performing arts center which isn’t a small building. It kind of depends on how important a view is to you. I mean, if you stay at the other Davenports, your view is of...downtown Spokane. So I’d go with whatever hotel appeals to you the most.

That said, I doubt the construction will effect you that much. It’s a large park. If you have a park view from your room, you’d probably see more park than construction.

Mentioned in this post
Davenport
Davenport
Washington
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
571 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Davenport Grand good to stay in April 2018?

Thanks for the quick response! Being from AZ, we usually gravitate towards staying by the water, but sound like these are all really close to each other & in the downtown area. Also, any idea if the Skyride over the Spokane Falls will be running in April? Check website & it says opening Spring 2018, but you know how construction goes....!

Mentioned in this post
SkyRide
SkyRide
32 Reviews
Spokane, WA
Spokane Falls
Spokane Falls
346 Reviews
Spokane, WA
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
3,925 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Davenport Grand good to stay in April 2018?

I don’t, sorry. Skyride always seemed to have unreliable hours anyway. (They close when it’s high winds or high heat, and that covers a lot of Spokane weather).

I’m cynical about Spokane city projects so I would guess “spring” means closer to Memorial Day. The carousel’s hours are the best in the summer. But then again, maybe it’ll be open in April, because that’s the beginning of park weather in Spokane, and because the falls are really something in the spring. If you gravitate towards the water, try to eat lunch at Clink’s. The patio probably won’t be open but even so, the tables by the windows give you a great view of the falls.

Distance always depends on perception. Google maps says half mile between grand and historic davenports. So I suppose...long distance for Spokane, short distance for a more pedestrian oriented city.

Edited: 11 January 2018, 04:07
Mentioned in this post
SkyRide
SkyRide
32 Reviews
Spokane, WA
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
571 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Davenport Grand good to stay in April 2018?

City projects everywhere take twice as long so I'm not holding my breath! Thanks for the top on Clink's, always love views of water. Half a mile is nothing, sounds like donwtown Spokane pretty compact.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
72 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Davenport Grand good to stay in April 2018?

HI!!

Yes the Davenport grand is an excellent hotel and yes they have park/river views on their upper floors. The recent estimates for the construction in the park are: The Skyride (Gondola ride) will be open approximately March 1st. The Carousel building will be open approximately May 1st.

In April you will find in our downtown area lots of flowers and high water in the river due to winter run off.

You are withing walking distance of over 25 restaurants and wine tasting rooms and craft breweries! We also have several art galleries and a couple of museums in the downtown area that you may find fun. The Centennial Trail also goes through our downtown so if you would like to walk a few miles on a paved walking/biking path you can. To the east the trail goes through the Gonzaga campus and to the west it follows the river for a couple of miles. Here's a little trivia, Spokane is the home of Bing Crosby. His childhood home is on the Gonzaga campus and has been turned into a museum.

I hope this has helped.

K

Mentioned in this post
Davenport
Davenport
Washington
SkyRide
SkyRide
32 Reviews
Spokane, WA
Centennial Trail
Centennial Trail
456 Reviews
Spokane, WA
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
571 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Davenport Grand good to stay in April 2018?

It's helps tremendously! Thanks for all the suggestions!

Reply to: Davenport Grand good to stay in April 2018?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Spokane