We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel 1 night stopover Glacier NP to Seattle?

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
262 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel 1 night stopover Glacier NP to Seattle?

I think we will arrive in Spokane early afternoon and depart the following morning so we only after the afternoon and evening to enjoy Spokane. I was thinking of staying near Riverfront Park so we could do some walking and enjoy nearby restaurants. Is my thinking correct?

Is there a different area I should consider to spend the afternoon visiting a museum or other "must see" sight?

Our trip is August 2018.

I'm looking at oxford suites, doubletree, holiday inn express, courtyard, Hampton inn, and the Davenport grand and Davenport tower mentioned in another post. Once I get your comments, I'll check out costs, parking fee, etc.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Riverfront Park
Riverfront Park
1,742 Reviews
Spokane, WA
Davenport
Davenport
Washington
Martin Woldson Theater at the Fox
Theatres, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Centennial Trail
Biking Trails, Equestrian Trails, Hiking Trails
12 replies to this topic
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
3,925 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel 1 night stopover Glacier NP to Seattle?

Historic Davenport or Davenport Grand would be my choice. I haven't stayed at the Grand but I like the location and it got rave reviews from my cousins. I love the original Davenport. I don't care for the Tower. But it's modern and clean and has the location of the Historic for a lower price. You're sort of in the middle of the tourist action- restaurants and bars and shopping- in that area. I mean, if one can say Spokane gets any action.

I've stayed at the courtyard and double tree and don't care to stay in that area, kind of removed from stuff. But they're both serviceable. I actually really like everything about the courtyard except the location. That's a long walk in the dark.

I also don't care to stay on the other side of the river, like at Oxford or HIE, but again, nice enough hotels.

Ride the carousel for sure! The art museum in Brownes Addition is worth a look. The Milk Bottle for lunch if you like kitsch with a side of fries. Onion if you like beer and burgers and crave a huckleberry milkshake. Peacock Bar at the Davenport for dinner. Luigis for Italian if you want romantic, Churchills Steakhouse if you want fancy and good steak.

Clinkendaggers is an old favorite- and well worth lunch on the patio over the river. Generally think dinner is overpriced though.

Mentioned in this post
Davenport
Davenport
Washington
Onion
Onion
217 Reviews
Spokane, WA
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
262 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel 1 night stopover Glacier NP to Seattle?

By historic grand, do you mean the Davenport lusso on west sprague?

Mentioned in this post
Davenport
Davenport
Washington
Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
72 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel 1 night stopover Glacier NP to Seattle?

HI!

The Davenport brand has 4 hotels in downtown Spokane. The Davenport Grand is the closest to Riverfront Park. It is also the newest hotel. It is really nice with an Asian feel to it. Table 13 is the restaurant there and it is fabulous. The Historic Davenport is the Best because it is a very historic, beautiful, distinguished, old world charm about it. This hotel has been there since 1914. It is one of the jewels of Spokane downtown. The Historic is 4 blocks from Riverfront park.

The Oxford Suites and Holiday Inn Express are on the north side of the river and Riverfront Park and Courtyard and Hampton Inn while they are fine hotels they are all about 7 to 9 blocks from downtown proper.

The first thing you will need to know is Riverfront park is in phase one of a five phase rejuvenation. The main part of the park which includes the Carousel and the Skyride (gondola ride) are under construction. You can still walk around 2/3rds of the park and have access to the falls. This would take from 30 minutes to 2hours to see it all and take great pictures.

In downtown there is the Mobius Science Museum and the Northwest Museum of Art & Culture.

Main St and Riverside St from Division to Post St is our highest concentration of boutique stores, bakeries, coffee houses, and pubs.

For eating experience, I suggest for dinner - The Saranac Public House or Wild Sage or Clinkerdaggers (steaks). All three are non-chain restaurants and American food that is GREAT!

For Lunch I suggest , The Wandering Table in Kendall Yards (8 blocks on north side of river) or Mizuna with their American/Greek style (local favorite).

Breakfast could be at Frank's diner (a little ways 13 blocks west on 2nd ave) or The Biscuit Wizards at the Saranac Commons on Main st. Oh man are they good!

I hope this helps. I love downtown and all that it offers. The night life is fantastic! With pubs and breweries and bars, with Broadway plays to concerts to a really cool comedy club, we just love downtown.

Mentioned in this post
Davenport
Davenport
Washington
Riverfront Park
Riverfront Park
1,742 Reviews
Spokane, WA
SkyRide
SkyRide
32 Reviews
Spokane, WA
Saranac Public House
Saranac Public House
178 Reviews
Spokane, WA
The Wandering Table
The Wandering Table
157 Reviews
Spokane, WA
Saranac Commons
Saranac Commons
3 Reviews
Spokane, WA
Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel 1 night stopover Glacier NP to Seattle?

When in August will you be coming through Spokane? There is a food festival in Spokane at the end of August every year (running into to Labor Day weekend) called Pig Out in the Park. You'll want to book early if that's the case.

Of the hotels mentioned, I would choose either the Davenport Grand or the Historic Davenport. The tower is fine as well but these two are the nicest of the four. If you are a Marriott Rewards member, you can book through the Marriot reservation site and earn or use Marriot rewards points.

Whitefish, Montana
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel 1 night stopover Glacier NP to Seattle?

Davenport grande. Don't forget, there is time change driving into Montana.

Mentioned in this post
Davenport
Davenport
Washington
Montana
Montana
United States
Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,332 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel 1 night stopover Glacier NP to Seattle?

Grand is a new hotel, more trendy, right across the street from Riverfront Park. Historic is the classic old hotel, 4 blocks from the park. Riverfront Park is under major renovation, so much will still be in stages of construction and not available. But there is also the new Huntington park across the street with access right up to the falls. The falls will be at low flow then, but still and impressive gorge and area. A mile west of the park is historic Brownes Addition with our museum, historic homes and classic architecture. Good dining options abound also.

For options from GNP, the fastest route is via 93 to Elmo, via Hot Springs and Paradise, via 200 and then down to St. Regis, connecting with I-90 to Spokane. A slightly slower but more interesting route is via Hwy 2, via Troy, to Bonners Ferry, Sandpoint and down to I-90 at Coeur d'Alene (a nice lake city) and into Spokane.

Mentioned in this post
Riverfront Park
Riverfront Park
1,742 Reviews
Spokane, WA
Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
906 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel 1 night stopover Glacier NP to Seattle?

We really enjoyed our September 19 stay at the Historic Davenport Hotel. Our room was spacious and furnished with lovely antiques. The restaurant was excellent and we enjoyed walking around and checking out all of the very ornate ballrooms. Service was very friendly.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
72 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel 1 night stopover Glacier NP to Seattle?

Excellent! I'm glad you stayed at the Historic Davenport. It is my favorite hotel.

K

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
61 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel 1 night stopover Glacier NP to Seattle?

There are free shuttles between all the Davenport hotels so if you stay in one and want to take a shuttle to the Grand to cut down on walking to the river front, it’s easy. Walk isn’t bad but if you don’t want to do the “round trip walk”, it’s a great option.

Mentioned in this post
Davenport
Davenport
Washington
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
262 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel 1 night stopover Glacier NP to Seattle?

Our one night in Spokane will be during the Pig Out in the Park festival. Does this festival go to the wee hours (after eleven?) that maybe we do not want to be in the Davenport grand directly across from park?

Mentioned in this post
Davenport
Davenport
Washington
Reply to: Hotel 1 night stopover Glacier NP to Seattle?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Spokane