We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging @ San Juan Island- how far in advance to book?

Charlotte
Level Contributor
108 posts
15 reviews
Lodging @ San Juan Island- how far in advance to book?

With our annual June trip done for this year I'm moving on to making prelim plans for next year (yes, I'm a planner). I think we'll stay at the Friday Harbor Grand B&B, but in general, if we're planning on visiting in early June, how far in advance should we be reserving to make sure we don't wait too long?

The reason I ask is for this trip we just took there were a few places that were already getting booked 6 months or more in advance, so I wanted to see if San Juan Island was similar in regards to booking. Thank you in advance for any insight.

6 replies to this topic
Renton, Washington
Level Contributor
5,178 posts
1. Re: Lodging @ San Juan Island- how far in advance to book?

https://www.visitsanjuans.com/

Charlotte
Level Contributor
108 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Lodging @ San Juan Island- how far in advance to book?

Thanks for the link Bob. Should prove most useful. As far as how far in advance to book a room, any general recommendations? Is six months safe?

Renton, Washington
Level Contributor
5,178 posts
3. Re: Lodging @ San Juan Island- how far in advance to book?

I do not live in the San Juans but we have island residents who frequent this forum and I will defer to them.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
49 reviews
4. Re: Lodging @ San Juan Island- how far in advance to book?

If you know where you want to stay, have specific requirements (like pet friendly or a view) or are going on a summer weekend, and have fixed dates, I'd book as far in advance as you can. There's often something left if you want until a couple months before (or even closer) and if you can be flexible but it might not be in your price range or have the amenities you want. Just be sure to note the cancellation policy.

San Juan Island...
Destination Expert
for San Juan Islands
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Lodging @ San Juan Island- how far in advance to book?

For lodging you should book as far in advance as you can if you come here in the summer. This is especially true if you want to book with any of the most popular or well rated motels/B&Bs/or other rentals like some air bnb locations. Put your dates into the search engine at http://www.visitsanjuans.com and they will show you all the details on what is available then (motels and B&Bs as well as many rental houses). But if you are not as particular about where you stay there are a large amount of choices (especially now that airBNB's are all over the islands.... which has been controversial here for years as this has resulted in pushing out long term renters in the county)

For some other information on visiting the islands here are some more recent articles you might find of interest: First here is a map of all of our island with the highlights marked and a brief description of each: https:/…e75a09d52d2f995745a5630c1a6b90bf.jpg and here is a good and pretty accurate recent (November 2017) article about San Juan island from the Bend Oregon newspaper...it's quite lengthy but you can skim thru the too long almost promotional for Lakedale here on San Juan. You'll find that at: bendbulletin.com/lifestyle/travel/5732356-15… Also the Seattle Times recently did another travel feature story on San Juan island which gives another perspective on orca watching and tourist sites on our island. For that see seattletimes.com/life/…

Charlotte
Level Contributor
108 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Lodging @ San Juan Island- how far in advance to book?

Ok, I'll make the reservation as soon as we reasonably can, based on the feedback here. Interesting to read about the Airbnb issues there- guess every place, even one as beautiful as San Juan Island has it's controversies.

Thanks for the links and insights. I really can't wait to visit, hike, kayak, and explore.

Reply to: Lodging @ San Juan Island- how far in advance to book?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Juan Islands
More San Juan Islands Topics