We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegetarian restaurants

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Vegetarian restaurants

Are there any vegetarian (pure) restaurants in nearby area?I have looked at various dedicated sites, they show listings which are non-veg but serve vegetarian/vegan food. Why is it so difficult to find vegetarian serving restaurants only in almost all tourist places?

10 replies to this topic
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
4,056 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegetarian restaurants

May I ask why you need a strictly veg place? I eat a lot of vegetarian- and restaurants in Seattle usually have more than a few decent options on their menus.

Re: tourist- I think it's mostly because good veg places tend to be indie. So you have to venture out of main tourist drag where the chains are to find those (and most indie) restaurants.

Edited: 21 August 2015, 20:24
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
4,056 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegetarian restaurants

Also in my experience yelp is pretty useless for veg tag. Look for links like:

seattlemet.com/articles/2013/6/24/the-best-v…

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,020 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegetarian restaurants

Marie, I think she is asking about Long Beach, not Seattle. To the OP, I simply Googled; you decide.

http://tinyurl.com/ohp68cl

Smile; our posts overlapped.

Edited: 21 August 2015, 20:31
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
4,056 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegetarian restaurants

Lol. Sorry, I think it may be past my coffee break time. OP- I totally feel your pain. Have trouble just finding restaurants on the Oregon coast that have healthy sides rather than potatoes, let alone delicious veg entrees. I stock up a cooler now- usually in Portland- because I got too frustrated eating out. But I realize that is not terribly helpful:(

I don't recommend Thai place but it's always possible I hit it on a really bad night. It's one of those places people tell you is good and then you eat there and wonder if they've ever had that particular food elsewhere😒

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
5,711 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegetarian restaurants

"Why is it so hard to find veg restaurants I tourist towns"?

These are small towns and there's not enough people to support a diverse restaurant scene. Plus, I'd bet the local population skews retired, which is not a crowd known for wanting veg restaurants. It's generally hard to find good food of any kind in tourist town. You're trapped, they don't rely on repeat business, tourists are notoriously bad tippers. My rule of thumb is that there is good food where rich people vacation and have second homes. So, Aspen, Ketchum, Orcas Island to some extent. Not Long Beach.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vegetarian restaurants

Marie, I am a strict vegetarian, and I belong to restaurant business owing family. I know how non-veg serving places cannot keep the boundaries clear while serving veg food as according to someone who eats non-veg, there is no problem in using the same ladle, microwave, wok or unwashed hands used for preparing veg meal (once in a while). And I would never like my food adulterated. When I say I eat vegetarian, it should be without the apprehension of having it sprinkled with non-veg flavor :) My life is not so important that it should be nurtured at the cost of another living being's life.

Tacoma, Washington
Level Contributor
219 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vegetarian restaurants

psychdeep, I am sorry that you are so hard to please. I am vegetarian and have no problem if somebody uses the same ladle as they used on a meat dish. That's a ridiculous thing to complain about. (Veg for 7+ years!)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
739 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vegetarian restaurants

My experience in long beach was two years ago and at that time there were no veg restaurants. I have similar concerns to yours about cross contamination. The best you can do is eat from the grocery store or bring your own in. Sorry.

I'm sure you've tried Happy Cow, but if not, it is our go-to for veg restaurants when traveling. The only time it let us down was in suburban Florida when we went on quite a goose chase for a restaurant whose address was wrong in the system.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Vegetarian restaurants

Posters 7 & 8: Did you not see that the OP was almost a year ago?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vegetarian restaurants

Thanks Marie, Seattle reebs, Christy, Voyaging for your inputs. Also thanks to Adam. I really didn't know that I should be considered as someone who is "so hard to please" :), thanks for enlightening me on that :). And one more thing, I've been vegetarian since birth, i.e 35 years!

I guess I can leave this page with some answers, and almost little or no hope of more people around us opting vegetarian diet, which would have some day helped make it more profitable for restaurants to serve vegetarian food.

Reply to: Vegetarian restaurants
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Long Beach
More Long Beach Topics