We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping ON the beach

Fayetteville, North...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Camping ON the beach

We've never been to Long Beach and have actually never seen what the beach is like. We heard you can drive right on the beach. Is camping allowed right on the beach or do you have to use one of the designated campground sites?

5 replies to this topic
Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,844 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping ON the beach

I don't think you can camp outside a designated campground. I searched Google to check on this, and it looks like you have to pitch your tent on designated ground. Certainly, beach driving and unregulated beach camping are not a good mix.

Are you sure Long Beach is what you want? You will not find it more interesting than what you can see at the Outer Banks. In fact, I think that the Outer Banks Beaches are far more beautiful. The beach is impressively large, huge, really, but it is featureless. The town around it is a lot of fun with many good places to stay and to eat and various entertainment options. Long Beach is a great place for kite flying and beach driving, but it is a bit bland in terms of scenery.If you want to see a true PNW beach with all the character and beauty you could desire, go to one of the Olympic National Park beaches. You can camp on them, too. You might want to look into Rialto Beach.

Fayetteville, North...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping ON the beach

Thanks a bunch kaleberg! I appreciate your input on Long Beach. The featureless-ness of it is a major turn off. We've been to Olympic beaches and agree on their beauty, but we're actually looking somewhere further south as we're meeting some folks down in that area. We are also trying out truck-camping and want to be away from campground crowds as much as possible. If you know of any areas that accommodate that type of camping, let me know!

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,573 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping ON the beach

Overnight parking or camping on the beach isn't allowed. It's outlined (buried) on page 45 of this document (pdf) www.parks.wa.gov/DocumentCenter/View/4086

if you have your heart set on camping in this area, then look at Cape Disappointment State Park. www.parks.wa.gov/486/Cape-Disappointment

There's also camping across the Columbia River in Oregon at Fort Stevens State Park. www.oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm…

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping ON the beach

"Truck camping"? Do you mean you have a pickup with a camper on it?

As suggested in post #3 above, Cape Disappointment is quite nice, but they may be full for this summer as it is a popular location.

Fort Stevens is a small city - there are nearly *500* campsites :-(

Being so close to over 2 million people in Portland and Vancouver WA - not even counting the huge Seattle area - means that there are very few places to camp where you can escape the 'crowds'. There are some smaller privately owned RV parks & campgrounds but most will be busy.

I did some research recently (we are RVers) and found that the #1 comment about RV parks in the Long Beach area was narrow, close campsites.

How far north or south are you thinking?

Fayetteville, North...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping ON the beach

Thanks sodomojo and half-Brit for your inputs!

We decided to forego Long Beach and not visit our friends. Cape Disappointment is pretty full and we don't really want to deal with that kind of crowds. We may just wait until later in the summer to hit the road when everyone's pretty much wore out from summer! We are truck camping as in sleep in the truck bed with an attached tent to the tail end of the truck.

Reply to: Camping ON the beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Long Beach
More Long Beach Topics