We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Small Road trip - Seattle, WA to Long Beach, WA

Kent, Washington...
2 posts
Save Topic
Small Road trip - Seattle, WA to Long Beach, WA

Me and my boyfriend are going to leave Friday night (Sept 12th) from Seattle to Long Beach WA to celebrate our 1 year. We are staying in Adrift Hotel (we got the top floor :)) But I was just wondering if there were any cool/interesting things to do on the way there or any must do's in Long beach. We are both very open minded and like the outdoors. I am also very into art and anything unique (hint the Adrift hotel, my pick) ANY suggestions will be much appreciated!

Thanks so much

8 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Small Road trip - Seattle, WA to Long Beach, WA

Since you are traveling to Long Beach Friday night (what time is your departure?, what route are you taking?) there will be limited opportunities for seeing much artistically interesting enroute.

The 28 mile Long Beach Peninsula has the 2nd longest continuous beach in the world and a collection of seaside communities that are modest in size and population. Much of the cultural interest tends to be individual (and frequently ideosyncratic) rather than institutional.

One of our long time favorite haunts for lodging as well as art and culture is the decidedly funky Sou'wester Inn. The former owners for 30 years until 2012, Len and Miriam Atkins, were inveterate world tavelers, and collectors of objets d'all manner of art. Fine art, folk art from innumerous cultures, tapestries and textiles, toasters, antique irons, and olio that defy description. A library of rare books; a drawing room where concerts, Shakesperean plays, and poetry readings were performed, authors in residence, a literary quarterly published; and a side yard filled with ageing, mural bedecked Airstream trailors for rent. The new owners appear to be carrying on the spirit of the tradition. Worth stopping by to see what's happening. (We stay on the top floor.)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Small Road trip - Seattle, WA to Long Beach, WA

More accurately, named the Sou'wester Lodge and Cabins.

Len classified it as a 'Bed and Get Your Own Damn Breakfast'

Kent, Washington...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Small Road trip - Seattle, WA to Long Beach, WA

Thank you so much! We will definitely be checking this out!

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,788 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Small Road trip - Seattle, WA to Long Beach, WA

I'd just head to Long Beach and environs. Cape Disappointment is a worthwhile detour once there. But the drive itself is really blah. Be sure to check the DOT website to avoid hitting southbound I-5 traffic. Actually keep an eye on it on the way back, too--there always seems to be traffic around JBLM, even on weekends.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Small Road trip - Seattle, WA to Long Beach, WA

On your way through some time, if not this trip, be sure to stop in South Bend and visit the Pacific County Courthouse. One of the most ornate stuctures you are likely to see in SW Washington.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Small Road trip - Seattle, WA to Long Beach, WA

The more than one time I have been stuck in interminable traffic south of Tacoma has drawn me to going by way of the Bremerton ferry, through to Shelton, then on to Long Beach. Theoretically longer in transit, but I'm convinced its actually added years to my life. Nicer scenery too, as you skirt south Hood Canal and the western reaches of south Puget Sound.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,788 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Small Road trip - Seattle, WA to Long Beach, WA

I think taking the Bremerton ferry is a great idea. You'd miss the traffic and some of the blah drive, and instead have a nice relaxing and scenic boat ride. (From Bremerton on the scenery is still nothing to write home about, but at least you'll have had a nice ferry ride).

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Small Road trip - Seattle, WA to Long Beach, WA

(From Bremerton on the scenery is still nothing to write home about, but at least you'll have had a nice ferry ride)

Very true, and two lane highway 3 can get congested on occasion, but nothing like I-5. If worst comes to worst, one can pull off the highway for a bit above a scenic bay or estuary. On I-5, pulling off the highway in Spanaway does nothing for me.

Reply to: Small Road trip - Seattle, WA to Long Beach, WA
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Long Beach
More Long Beach Topics