We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

March weather

Peoria, IL
Level Contributor
553 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
March weather

We'd like to visit the Monterey area next March to celebrate our anniversary. However, we don't know what the weather can be like at that time.

We'd like to do some sight seeing. Possibly Caramel and Nappa too.

Any input on the weather and conditions that time of year is appreciated.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,950 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: March weather

What can I tell you?

I live just 45 minutes north of Monterey.

The weather for the next 10 days is either showers or rain.

Weather on the central coast is very unpredictable. It will not be hot, it will not be freezing. Anything in between is up for grabs.

Come ahead, you will love it.

(Just FYI it is "Carmel" and "Napa".)

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: March weather

March weather is the most interesting of the year! As Puter noted, it isn't too hot or too cold. It can be sunny and spring-like, or stormy with gusting winds, like we had last night. And it's not unheard of to experience both extremes within a two-day period.

One thing is certain, the ever changing weather and dramatic cloud formations can make for some of the most spectacular sunsets of the year. And the storms can provide some equally spectacular surf pounding the shore (just keep a safe distance!). If you like photo ops, March is the best time to be here.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Edited: 21 March 2011, 03:48
Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: March weather

Forgot to mention, Napa is not very close to Monterey. It's about 4 hours North.

-Mr. Toy

Peoria, IL
Level Contributor
553 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: March weather

Thank you so much for your information!! I had thought Napa was closer. Is there much scenery on that 4 hr drive?

Also, what is the best airport to fly into? We had thought about visiting San Francisco as well. A friend lives in Hollister but I haven't talked to her much yet about a possible visit. Is Hollister far from San Francisco or Caramel?

What would be the possibilities of weather if we came in March? I realize no one can predict but on a normal year? Warm(like 70 daytime and 50's night time?)?.

Thanks so much!

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: March weather

San Francisco is about 2.5 hours away, between here and Napa. You could fly in or out of SF to visit The City (as SF is called hereabouts).

There is a nice, no hassle airport in Monterey served by multiple airlines, but flights can be fairly expensive. The nearest major airport is San Jose, about half way between here and San Francisco.

Hollister is about half way between here and San Jose, with a slight detour.

Since you seem confused about what is where, I suggest you pick up a California paper map and give it some study to see what you can get to in your allotted time frame. Online maps, handy as they can be, don't convey the proper sense of scale like laying it out on a table.

March temps can be in the 60-70 range during the day, 45-55 at night.

-Mr. Toy

Peoria, IL
Level Contributor
553 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: March weather

Mr. Toy,

Thank you for your bountiful information!!

The March temps sound very doable. We'll be coming from an Illinois winter so anything above 30 will be good.

A paper map is a great suggestion. I did find the online maps difficult to figure.

I now know where to check airports and compare fees.

You've been a great help---thanks for your time!

7. Re: March weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 05:17