We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry to Lanai and/or Molokai from Maui

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
102 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry to Lanai and/or Molokai from Maui

Has anyone every taken the ferry to Lanai or Molokai from Maui? If so, do you need to rent a car or is there enough to do close to the port? If you rent a car do you recommend a company? We are mainly looking to beach it, maybe a little shopping and exploring the island if there are beautiful views?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry to Lanai and/or Molokai from Maui

We took the ferry to Lanai about 2 summers ago. We did not rent a car. There is a great beach about 5 to 10 minute walk from the harbor. We just walked there, and spent the day on that beach. Great snorkeling there. You can pack a lunch or eat at the Four Season's. The Four Seasons is right above this beach.

I did not ferry to Molokai from Maui, but we did spend a whole week on Molokai a few years back. You will need a car in Molokai.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry to Lanai and/or Molokai from Maui

Here is a copy of the info I usually give regarding daytrips to Lana`i on the ferry:

<<A daytrip to Lana’i is a wonderful way to spend one day of your Hawai’i vacation. It is only a 10 minute walk from the ferry dock to Hulopo’e Beach, where you will find some of the best snorkeling in all the islands. You would need to bring rented snorkel gear along from Maui, as there is none available for rent on Lana'i. Here is a link to the ferry company’s website:

http://www.go-lanai.com/

You will still be able to look for whales (in season) and dolphins from the ferry. From the left side of the beach as you face the water, you can also take a nice short hike up to Pu'u Pehe Overlook (Sweetheart Rock), where you will have great views of Maui and Kaho'olawe. There are also great tidal pools to check out around the beach. You can also take the 5 minute walk up to the Four Seasons Manele Bay Resort and check out the great artwork and beautiful gardens. Lunch at the Ocean Grill there has great views, although it is fairly expensive. Otherwise you can bring a picnic lunch and have it right on the beach. There are picnic tables, as well as facilities and showers there.

And if you are really interested in checking out the island, rent a Jeep from Adventure Lana'i Ecocentre and explore all the great isolated off-road sites. They will meet you right at the ferry dock with the Jeep, and you just leave it there at the end of the day. A Jeep is expensive, at least $129/day. For more info their website is:

http://www.adventurelanai.com/

But you will have to call them at 808-565-7373 to make a reservation.>>

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,044 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry to Lanai and/or Molokai from Maui

i went to molokai last year -- but we had friends there to pick us up with their car ----------------the return trip was really really rough

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
102 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry to Lanai and/or Molokai from Maui

Thank you everyone. I appreciate the input.

5. Re: Ferry to Lanai and/or Molokai from Maui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 17:16