We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosquitoes

Which Port d'Alcudia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london
11 posts
Save Topic
mosquitoes

could anybody clear up a little matter for me, i am holiday broker, and send lots of people to Majorca everyday.

It seems that quite often customers say to me "not Alcudia because there are lots of mozzies"

I know there is quite a lot of marsh land and lakes in the area, but is the "mozzie" crisis really as bad as people make out ?

I am taking 2 young kids and a baby..any recomendations of good quality cream !!!

ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: mosquitoes

hi there.mozzies love me .i seem to get a lot of bites when away.but the last two years ive taken the vitamin THIAMIN in the sona range.i got this tip out of a health magazine and they really work,they create a smell off your skin that only insects not humans can smell.ive been to bulgaria and just back from majorca where all my friends got biten and none of my family did.you take one a day for 2 weeks before you go and one a day while your there.no need to take them when you come home.

they are available from most chemists and health shops ie boots etc.

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mosquitoes

Hi - we live in Southern Spain (100 meters above a lake so great insect country) and I used to be a target for every Mossie around!

Was advised to use lavender Cologne spray - Euro 2.50 per bottle and available from most supermarkets + pharmacies.

Works brilliantly!

Hope this helps.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mosquitoes

Someone told me garlic capsules are great. Tried it last year for hols in Alcudia. Worked for my hubby and sons but I got 3 bites on my back - must love female blood! Jungle Formula cream or spray quite good. Available in Boots and most pharmacies.

Belfast
Level Contributor
911 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mosquitoes

Hi

Been going to Majorca for the past 10 years. Yeh there's mossies but some years they are worse than others. I always heard they hated lemons and so I purchased lemon spray from The Body Shop. Must admit it worked. The owner of the Peach Pitt bar - Juan - told us to cut a lemon up and put it in water in our room to keep the mossies at bay. Can't say we got bitten in our room after trying this. As far as I'm concerned you oughta try anything that's suggested because someone has gotta be right!!! Just try not to squeeze your bites coz my husband did and his swole up (ha ha). Anyway good luck and have a great time!

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
582 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mosquitoes

Hiya - I used to get bitten (rather than my husband) and once when we stayed in C'an Picafort my hand swelled so badly I nearly had to have my wedding ring cut off!. However, I did ask advice from our local pharmacy after that and they recommended taking a course of anti-histamine tablets before going and that seemed to help. You could always ask your local pharmacy as it might not be suitable for children.The other thing is that we ALWAYS take some soothing calamine lotion just in case - it's horrendously expensive in Majorca and you only get a very small bottle.

Another thing I noticed over the years - and this is rather a delicate topic! - I always seemed more vulnerable to bites around my period - but maybe that was just me. Post -menopause it certainly hasn't been a problem!!

Newcastle
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: mosquitoes

Hi , I always found that Brewers Yeast tablets work wonders, they are very cheap to buy ant most chemists, they omit a smell that insects hate and fortunately humans cant smell it!

Cheap and painless

Good luck

7. Re: mosquitoes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 04:19
Get answers to your questions about Port d'Alcudia