We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

English newspapers

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
English newspapers

Even though we will be taking an ipad and have wi in our hotel, the Vila Ventura, my old fashioned other half still enjoys the daily ritual of 'going for the paper'.

Is that possible anywhere near Canico?

Thanks again.

Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
11,138 posts
86 reviews
1. Re: English newspapers

There is likely to be a shop which sells English and local newspapers but the choice is likely to be limited and will be the previous day's edition. - they are printed in Spain so they often do not reach shops until very late or the next day.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: English newspapers

inside a building called-Canicentrogolden is a paper shop --situated opp the Post Office

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,590 posts
52 reviews
3. Re: English newspapers

One thing you forgot to mention flowercity.They are very expensive for what you get.

If you are taking your iPad Alison,download the Daily Mail app.It's free,up to date news & very topical.

Rob

Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
11,138 posts
86 reviews
4. Re: English newspapers

yes Rob, very expensive, I think the daily papers are about €2.30 and weekend cost much more.

Edited: 20 July 2016, 07:55
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
139 reviews
5. Re: English newspapers

Yes very expensive there are stalls in Funchal which sells them but usually a day later and as others say not much choice.

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,683 posts
128 reviews
6. Re: English newspapers

Don't know about Canico, but in Funchal you will get newspapers around 4 pm on the day that they are published, or perhaps even earlier.

Edited: 20 July 2016, 10:28
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
139 reviews
7. Re: English newspapers

Interestingly in The Cliff Bay and I suppose in the other Porto Bay hotels in Funchal you can get British and other countries newspapers in the morning.They have a machine which prints off papers daily could even get some local Glasgow papers Herald etc if I wanted them.my paper of choice The Telegragh they cant do don't know why but shows how modern technology has made the world smaller.

Edited: 20 July 2016, 15:21
Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,590 posts
52 reviews
8. Re: English newspapers

Glasgow Herald.Bet there's some comings & goings on in that paper Bob.

The Melia do the same thing.They are in reception first thing in the morning.I may be wrong but if you want to take one away I think they are €5.

Will look out for the Herald in Sept Bob.

Rob

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
139 reviews
9. Re: English newspapers

Rob In The Cliff Bay they give you a form to order the paper you want some papers available in the Spa Reception Mail etc which is the place which deals with papers.They even phone you or send a message if your paoer is not available now that's what I call service.

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: English newspapers

Thank you for all your replies. I'm addicted to the mailonline and am in the process of trying to convert John to it's merits....but failing miserably!!!!!

Get answers to your questions about Canico
Recent Conversations