We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

campsite - Ile de Re

Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
Save Topic
campsite - Ile de Re

I'm looking for a recommendation for a campsite in Ile de Re. We have 3 children under the age of four. We would like a spacious mobile home/ chalet, clean facilities and perhaps entertainment for the children. There appears to be eight 4 star campsites on the island but it's hard to know which to go for. Any suggestions welcome! Many thanks.

Dublin
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: campsite - Ile de Re

Hi

We went to Ile de Re for 2 weeks last summer with a 10 month old. We stayed in Camping La Tour des Prises - it was fine, nothing v fancy but suited us fine - facilities are 1 pool and a baby pool and a small play area with 1 climbing frame - probably not really suitable for 3 very small ones... However, the two nearest villages are really fantastic to visit and its a handy bike ride.

Friends stayed in the 4 star Interlude campsite with a 4 year old and a 3 year old and I really liked the whole set up there.... the direct access to the beach is brilliant - i think it is the only campsite on the island (or at least that side of it) that is on the beach. There is a cafe and a restaurant on site, a decent little supermarket and a beauty salon. the pool there was slightly disappointing as it wasnt huge and it seemed crazy busy the whole time - but little ones would probably prefer the beach. Our friends had a campervan so I dont know what the mobile standard was like, but my impression of the layout and standard of the park in general was good. Interlude is alot more expensive than other campsites but I reckon it might be worth it... the nearest town to here wasnt as nice (in our opinion) as the towns near where we were based (again, apologies, names escape me).

Other friends had previously stayed in a 4 star campsite up near the lighthouse and they really liked it there - they had individual gas bbqs with each mobile which I liked the idea of as I was v disappointed by not being able to bbq as the cooking facilities in mobiles are v limited. The lighthouse is a long way away from most of the other towns, but we did lots of cycling up around there and really liked it, its particularly peaceful and the green woods up that direction and lovely, as well as the little towns up the top of the island (names escape me). We reckoned if we went back we might stay up that direction.

That's a little bit of info... hopefully its of some help.

ireland
Level Contributor
26 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: campsite - Ile de Re

Dear Oonagh

A very helpful post- can you tell me is air conditioning necessary in June? We have a 2 year old and are thinking about renting a mobile home- probably with Interlude. What kind of weather did ye experience?

Many thanks, Anne

Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: campsite - Ile de Re

Thank you very much for that Oonagh. It's very helpful and much apprerciated. Must go and book now!

Dublin
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: campsite - Ile de Re

Hi Folks

Glad the post was helpful, I just came across the query whilst trying to find something for myself in the forum so I just threw it together...

Re air con.... We were there in July and had some pretty hot weather, didnt have air con but didnt really feel that we needed it. Our mobile in Les Tour Prises was not covered by trees as they mostly are in Les Varennes (the 3 star campsite I referred to above where our friends stayed - and from memory many of them in Interlude are as well). My biggest issue with not having air con was when the evenings got cool and you went to sit inside you needed to open the windows and sooner or later the place would be teeming with midges and mosquitos...... so we did the nightly routine of closing all the windows, spraying the insects killer spray and waiting 5 mins in the bedroom before going back out to open all the windows and get some cross flow going with the air. I discussed this exact issue with my friend y'day who stayed in les varennes and she said they didnt get too hot in the daytime as they are totally shaded by (huge) big pine trees...... so it's a catch 22 - you have shady trees but no sun on your deck/patio, but then not too hot in the evenings indoors... However, other than that I would say that air con is not a necessity - esp in June (and I'm not good with the heat at all) - but i'd take it if I could have it!

She also mentioned that the mobiles in Les Varennes are not as large as the ones they had stayed in at the lighthouse campsite the year before... it seems to be the only place (other than Interlude?) that has large 3 bed mobiles (i take this to mean separate sitting and separate eating areas).

I should have mentioned that the setting of Les Tour Prises is really great, the surrounding vineyards are stunning and its a particularly good spot for cycling, directly on a main cycle path and mid way to pretty much everything on the island. We did alot of cycling even with baby - had her in one of the little trailers out the back that we padded out with pillows so she could sleep comfortably and you can pull a sun shade down. The town of Loix is a fantastic cycle away over the dikes through the marshes and there's a lovely restaurant in the corner of the little square there that is a lovely lunch spot.

Also, in La Couarde (sp??) there is a really excellent restaurant at the end of the village which we had a fabulous meal in (and an Irish chef no less! :-) - dont have the name but it is a classy looking spot so you cant miss it.

Also, in Les Tour prises if you have a baby you really do not want a mobile with a deck - we were given one of those first but changed as I had visions of baby falling through the gaps in the edges or down the steps - you should request one without.

We really really loved Ile de Re (fairly basic campsite aside), it is a great spot and we absolutely loved the cycling - our friends are going back for their third year... we're heading to the Landes region to try something new....

5. Re: campsite - Ile de Re

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 06:18