We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pyin Oo Lwin and Hispaw

London, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Pyin Oo Lwin and Hispaw

We will be travelling from Mandalay through Pyin Oo Lwin and on to Hsipaw at the end of March 2016. We have a total of 5 nights we can stay in Pyin Oo Lwin and Hsipaw and will take the train from Pyin Oo Lwin to Hsipaw to see the Gokteik viaduct.

This will be our first time in Myanmar so I am trying to work out our itinerary without much prior knowledge of the locations we plan to visit.

I am trying to work out whether we should have 3 nights in Pyin Oo Lwin (which will mean 2 full days), and 2 nights in Hsipaw (which will mean just 1 full day), or whether we should have 2 nights in Pyin Oo Lwin (which will mean 1 full day) and 3 nights in Hsipaw (which will mean 2 full days).

Can anyone recommend whether it is better to stay longer in Pyin Oo Lwin or in Hsipaw? We will plan to do the usual tourist stuff, but would prefer a location which perhaps is more interesting for meeting local people and interesting from a photographic perspective.

Any advice from people who have visited both locations would be most welcome.

Thank you in advance of your replies.

Andrew

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,135 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pyin Oo Lwin and Hispaw

I'd opt for the longer stay in Hsipaw. If you have a full day or a day and a half, it is sufficient to visit the garden and go around to see the cool old buildings in Pyin Oo Lwin. Both are great for photography, here are my trip reports which have photo albums at the end if you care to see what the sights look like there

tripadvisor.com/…31008061

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g64…

Level Contributor
55 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pyin Oo Lwin and Hispaw

Dear Andrew F,

I recommend you that it is better to stay longer in Hsipaw. It is enough to stay one day in Pyin Oo Lwin.

In Hsipaw, you can visit Sawbwa's residence, Bawgyo Pagoda, so on and as an option, you can enjoy Dokhtawady River Boat Trip and walking along Shan villages near by Hsibaw.

australia
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pyin Oo Lwin and Hispaw

Hi ,

I am with the other 2

As much as I enjoyed Pyin , I thought Hsipaw was a much nicer place to hang out

Hard to beat lounging around a couple great cafes down b y the river after a day of cruising around , enjoyed my time there

Merton Australia
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pyin Oo Lwin and Hispaw

In Hsipaw there is a interesting fellow selling books in the main street. Speaks english well and may have a copy of the book "I was a shan princess". It's a great insight into life in Hsipaw under the military regime and her family are still in the local "palace". …or they were last year …and welcome visitors. (except when we went there they were out and the dogs attacked me, got bitten and that's a whole other story. Keep away from the dogs!)

australia
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pyin Oo Lwin and Hispaw

Didnt go to the palace but did hear about the dogs as well

There is another little shop which turned out a sort of lending library

Locals would come , select the book they wanted , the librarian for want of a better word would write down in his ledger the name of the book etc , very neatly done and precise .

All sorts of books , comics and magazines.

Just another fascinating insight into local life

Marseille, France
Level Contributor
45 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pyin Oo Lwin and Hispaw

I Hsipaw now and I agree with the other. A day in the POL and 2 days in Hsipaw. There is so much interesting to see here. Today we did one one day treking to various Shan villages with a boat ride up the river. So nice .

7. Re: Pyin Oo Lwin and Hispaw

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2018, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Pyin Oo Lwin (Maymyo)