We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Natural Bridge worth the cost of admission?

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
4 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Is Natural Bridge worth the cost of admission?

My husband and I are thinking seriously about visiting Natural Bridge, Va. in the future since we have never been to Natural Bridge. Does any one know the cost? Any other attractions at Natural Bridge beside viewing the bridge?Any advice would be helpful.

Mentioned in this post
6 replies to this topic
Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Natural Bridge worth the cost of admission?

It's kind of kitchy and somewhat retro, like attractions used to be when I was a kid. There's a short hike you can take back beyond the bridge to a pretty beat-up Indian "village", and then a little further to a quiet glen. I liked the caverns, because they weren't as developed as ones like Luray (admittedly not nearly as large either), so it felt a little more like you were in a natural place. Unless you're mobility-challenged, I wouldn't bother waiting for the little bus, just walk on down once you get a ticket.

I would definitely stop in and check out Foamhenge, best free thing to see in the area. It's like stepping back into the early 60's (I'm dating myself here). I would skip the wax museum.

It's not like anything in Williamsburg so keep your expectations down. I don't remember what it costs but it seemed to me to be in the $15-20 range for adults. My guess is the website will get updated with the price in the spring.

You're not too far from Lexington, which is a very charming town. There's a very well done museum about Marshall at VMI, and the beautiful campus of Washington & Lee. RE Lee is buried in the chapel there. In town is the Stonewall Jackson house. And to me, the beautiful countryside of Rockbridge County is alone worth the drive.

Mentioned in this post
Luray
Luray
Virginia
Lexington
Lexington
Kentucky
Stonewall Jackson House
Stonewall Jackson House
328 Reviews
Lexington, VA
Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
4 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Natural Bridge worth the cost of admission?

Thanks! All your information was very helpful . Looking forward to one day visiting Natural Bridge!

Mentioned in this post
Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Natural Bridge worth the cost of admission?

Re-reading my comments, I stuck my comment about Foamhenge in a strange place. It's NB that is a throwback to the 60s; Foamhenge is I guess a throwback several thousand years.

NEWPORT NEWS, VA
Destination Expert
for Hampton, Newport News
Level Contributor
567 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Natural Bridge worth the cost of admission?

Wow, I love perusing these boards! I had no clue about Foamhenge and now I'm absolutely fascinated by the works of Mark Cline. Thanks 22Tango!

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
34 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Natural Bridge worth the cost of admission?

It's worth it for one visit. I probably wouldn't go again unless I was given free tickets.

When I went to the Natural Bridge a few years back I had read that there was a really good restaurant on the inside, but when we got in all they had was a walk-up hot dog stand. We were sorely disappointed to say the least. So if you plan to eat, look for a restaurant on the outside.

On the other hand, there are other things to do in that area that make the trip worth it as a whole. There's a safari/petting zoo that is definitely worth the admission in my opinion. Some of the animals roam free so it's kind of neat to be in that type of environment.

Foamhenge is free and a must-see. If anything for the pictures alone.

Mentioned in this post
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Natural Bridge worth the cost of admission?

$20 For the Natural Bridge and $18 for the caverns.

If you go to the Hotel website you can find packages that seem to be a better deal.

Edited: 09 July 2015, 16:56
Reply to: Is Natural Bridge worth the cost of admission?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Natural Bridge