We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virginia safari park

New Jersey
2 posts
Save Topic
Virginia safari park

Hi,

Me an my husband are planning to go to Shenandoah National Park this weekend. I was reading about tings-to-do and i came to know about the Virginia Safari park. I know it's 2 hours from SNP, but we would like to visit the park.I know there are 2 options to visit the zoo, either take your own car or take the safari wagon ride. Can anyone who has been there please tell me

1. Roughly how many hours does it take to visit the whole park ?

2. Is taking your own car a better idea (we have 1996 Toyota Corolla) ?

3. Is the wagon-ride equally interesting ?

We have been to a deer park before and loved to feed them with our hands and we expect to do the same here.

thanks in advance

Lynchburg, VA
Level Contributor
499 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virginia safari park

I haven't been to the safari park since I was a kid so I can't tell you exact details about it now (sorry) but, I will tell you I have heard from friends that have gone recently that taking your own car is a hit or miss. The animals are so used to knowing they're going to get fed from the vehicles that they can be quite agressive from what I hear. If you're interested in feeding some animals you could also consider going to the Natural Bridge Zoo (www.naturalbridgezoo.com). The zoo is not very large (probably 30 to 45 minutes to walk the whole park depending on your pace), but some of the animals are free to roam such as pigs, donkeys & llamas. You can buy pellets in the gift shop prior to going in to feed them by hand. This isn't a flashy, high class zoo in my opinion but if you're interested in coming to the area it might be a nice stop. You could always visit Natural Bridge while there too since it's such an interesting site to see. Sorry I don't have better information on the safari park.

New Jersey
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Virginia safari park

Thanks a lot Cheshrliz for replying. Unfortunately I couldn't read your reply before we left.

Anyway, we had a lot of fun in the Safari Park. We took our car inside the park and it was great. Loved feeding all the animals that came by.

3. Re: Virginia safari park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2010, 14:34
Get answers to your questions about Natural Bridge