We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time to Beach

Carlisle...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Time to Beach

Hi! We're visiting the Island for the first time next week and staying at the Best Western Plus. How far is it to the beach? We have 2 kids, 8 and 4. Is it walkable or do you have to drive? Any advice would be appreciated!

Ruckersville...
Level Contributor
479 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time to Beach

You do not want to walk it, especially with tow small children, Its at least a couple of miles from the Entrance to the beach. The Mosquitoes will eat you alive . you won't have a problem on the beach with the bugs, but going thru the marshland to get there is a different story. When walking the trails in the Refuge, make sure to use plenty of Bug repellent.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time to Beach

You are the closest hotel to the beach, and they have a great new bike path but it is EXTREMELY buggy when walking this route, i have had family members try walking it while on vacation and the mosquitos are HORRIBLE, especially with small kids i recommend driving or at LEAST biking, hope this helps! enjoy your vacation!

Chincoteague Island
Destination Expert
for Chincoteague Island
Level Contributor
534 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time to Beach

I agree totally - I'd never walk it with children. The mosquito population varies, depending on the weather. We just had a big storm and the wind has gotten rid of most of them - of course they can return at any time! This is a salt marsh, so it's part of life here to deal with them. H&H Pharmacy has a wonderful lotion that helps - it's really good. Biking can be fun, but I've had kids get tired 1/2 way through a trail - so unless they are experienced riders, using your car is best. You might park & hike the little trails with them - the lighthouse is pretty easy and fun. I also suggest that you visit the little refuge center that is closest to the beach. It doesn't have all the interesting exhibits that you'll see at the large Bateman Center, but there are touch tanks that are fun for the little kids.

Huntingdon Valley...
Level Contributor
7 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time to Beach

I think you're already on your vacation, but Best Western Plus is the closest hotel to the refuge entrance! The drive will be very short from the hotel to the beach. I wouldn't recommend biking or walking with little kids (especially since a day at the beach tends to wear them out! Also, BUGS!)

5. Re: Time to Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Chincoteague Island