We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pony Swim 2012

South Jersey
Level Contributor
15 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Pony Swim 2012

Starting to plan a July 2012 trip to Chincoteague to view the pony swim...what are the dates???...where is the best place to stay???....is there any accomodations with view of the pony swim???how long should I book??? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...Thanks

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,853 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pony Swim 2012

The Chincoteague Pony Swim and Auction take place on the last consecutive Wednesday and Thursday in the month of July. For 2012, that would be July 25 and 26. In my opinion, a week in a house rental on the island is ideal. Most (if not all) of the hotels/motels on the island have minimum stays during Pony Swim week. There are many good places to stay, both hotel/motels and house rentals.

Book as early as you can. The week we rented a house, we booked in January, and stayed in the North Main Street area. It was walking distance to the high school where the shuttle buses were. Another time, we wanted just a few days in a motel, and ended up with a reservation in Exmore, but there was a mix-up with the reservation, so we stayed in Salisbury instead.

Chincoteague Island
Destination Expert
for Chincoteague Island
Level Contributor
503 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pony Swim 2012

I agree with Julia (aka Zoey 1996), renting a house is surely the most comfortable way to go and the earlier you book for that busy week, the better your selection. Pony Swim is the Chincoteague Christmas - scattered families and friends all try to come home for it, so everything books up quickly. I would also strongly suggest that you get here at least by the weekend prior to the swim (7/21-22/12) so you can watch the round up of the herds on Assateague and the run down the beach early on Monday (7/23/12). It's worth getting up for that!

3. Re: Pony Swim 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2011, 18:07
Newport News...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Pony Swim 2012

Am planning on bringing a charter coach group for the penning. What would be the best time to arrive so we don't miss anything?

Chincoteague Island
Destination Expert
for Chincoteague Island
Level Contributor
503 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pony Swim 2012

Hello Kit- There is no way to know now what time the ponies will swim. Usually the time range is announce sometime the week prior to the swim and the exact time is chosen on the day of the swim itself. I would suggest you plan for your group to come the night before and stay overnight so as not to miss anything. I would very much suggest you contact our Chamber of Commerce, who can advise you on which roads will be closed on the day of the swim and how your group could use the shuttles here on the island. The COC's number is 757-336-6161. Hope you have fun!

East Stroudsburg...
Level Contributor
1 post
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pony Swim 2012

My eleven year-old son and I would love to witness this Great Bay Crossing Event! We have viewed a few maps and checked atlases and even tried to google this area and we still have questions... Is there a road that connects the northern part of Assateague Island, MD with the southern VA portion? If we camp at Assateague National Park, is it really a 2-hour loop to where the horses swim? What campgrounds would you recommend on the southern part of the Island or on-shore that is close to the "action" ? We would love any pointers on hot-spots for fishing, crabbing or clamming. We live in Pennsylvania and have plenty of knowledge to share about the campgrounds and campsites in our neck of the woods :) Thanks!

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,853 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pony Swim 2012

No, you have to drive back to the mainland to get from the Maryland side to the Virginia side. Sorry, I don't have any campground recommendations, since I haven't stayed at one.

Watching the ponies swim is really an event that I'm happy to have seen twice! Hope you will make the trip. Chincoteague is such a great place to visit!

Chincoteague Island
Destination Expert
for Chincoteague Island
Level Contributor
503 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pony Swim 2012

Hi Hollie- As Julia said, there is no connection from the MD side of Assateague (where you can camp) to the VA side, which is all National Wildlife Refuge (no camping). However you can camp on Chincoteague Island - there are 3 big campgrounds: Tom's Cove (closest to the swim), Pine Grove & Maddox. However, pretty much everything (camps, hotels & rentals) books up in advance for the week of the swim. You might want to contact the Chamber of Commerce website (chincoteaguechamber.com) for more info and make calls soon. As for fishing, crabbing, clamming - we are well-stocked! You will find plenty of places for all. I recommend you check out Captain Bob's Marina when you get here. Donna at Capt. Bob's can give you the inside skinny on what to find where. Hope your trip is great!

Harrisonburg, VA
Level Contributor
130 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pony Swim 2012

Tina and/or Zoey, are there places to go crabbing on Chincoteague? Do we need a license, permit & can we bring our own equipment? Familar crabbing off a pier. 1st time coming for the swim. Staying at a hotel for 4 nights the week of the swim & are looking for some stuff to do. Thanks!!

Chincoteague Island
Destination Expert
for Chincoteague Island
Level Contributor
503 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pony Swim 2012

Hi- There are public docks that you can crab from in Chincoteague - Memorial Park is a popular spot; also you can crab off the bridge going to Assateague or by the town dock. You don't need a permit - but just remember that a lot of the docks on Main Street are private, so you wouldn't want to trespass without permission. If you ask, the owners might be willing to let you use them. You also might want to go by Captain Bob's Marina at South Main and ask there - the staff is very knowledgeable about good fishing/crabbing spots!