We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girls weekend ideas

White Post, Virginia
Level Contributor
3 posts
35 reviews
Girls weekend ideas

A college friend and I are headed to Charlottesville/ Staunton for a dress shopping trip - her son's wedding. We want to do fun things the day before and after. I'm all over the wineries on the Monticello trail and have my list all but ready. But, sadly we can't just taste wine and function! Any good ideas for something to do? We'll stay in Staunton Friday night and Charlottesville Saturday night. And sadly, we're not spring chickens any more.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
25 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: Girls weekend ideas

Staunton has a cute little downtown area with shops to walk in...an amazing gelato place...and for dinner, zynodoa is the best choice hands down.

http://zynodoa.com

As for other activities, I am not sure what to recommend besides wine tasting (ox eye and barren ridge are close to/in Staunton) as that was what broke up the eating schedule on my day trip to the area.

Something fun, but a little out of the way for your trip would be to hike Crabtree falls. It takes about two hours round trip to hike the top and back. The hike is easy.

White Post, Virginia
Level Contributor
3 posts
35 reviews
2. Re: Girls weekend ideas

Thanks so much for the dinner idea. Our last trip there we ate at the Holiday Inn. Then again, we could enjoy our wine from King Family Vineyards without leaving the hotel! We visited Barren Ridge on the aforementioned trip and loved it - especially the owner, but haven't been to Ox Eye. How is it?

Hoping to stay in Charlottesville Saturday night so looking for ideas there too.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
251 reviews
3. Re: Girls weekend ideas

Are you more interested in historical types of things, art, etc? There is, of course, Monticello, ash=Lawn, etc. Hiking on some trails that would pretty easy to access from both Charlottesville or Staunton. If you like Ansel Adams, UVA has an exhibit of his pieces through mid-October. I'm not up on the rest of the exhibits at UVA but there are surely some other good ones, as well.

You have the wineries covered which is my favorite thing :-), but if you like beer or cider there are some good options as well. If you don't want to drive there is Champion Brewery right downtown. My husband likes some of their beer (I'm not a huge beer drinker so I can't say) but one of the other draws there are the food trucks that park outside. Hanu is particularly good. But check out their site to be sure which trucks are there that evening.

Depending on which weekend you are visiting it might be worth it to check out what is going on at the Jefferson or or other venues if you like live music.

Sounds like a fun trip. Hope you have a wonderful time!

4. Re: Girls weekend ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2014, 07:18