We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Academical Village - accessible?

Peachtree City...
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Academical Village - accessible?

I'll be in Charlottesville on Friday, touring Monticello in the morning and then heading to the UVA campus later in the afternoon. I am planning on taking the guided Rotunda tour at 4pm, and ideally I'd want to visit the Academical Village and the Chapel afterwards. The only problem is that I can't find enough research on them to see if either would be open during that time for me to walk around. If the UVA site mentions it, I can't find it. Much appreciation for any response!

Ruckersville...
Level Contributor
479 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Academical Village - accessible?

The Academic Village is the Lawn and Student Apartments behind the Rotunda. I believe the Chapel is to the west of the Rotunda. The University Website, www.virginia.edu is a good source for information. it does list the Academic Village and has a virtual tour. Hope this helps.

Peachtree City...
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Academical Village - accessible?

Okay, let me be a bit more specific. Does a tour of those grounds consist of just looking at the buildings? Or can one ever walk inside any of them? Much seems to be made of Poe's former residence, so I was thinking it'd be something you would see the interior of. The virtual tour would probably answer this, but I'm a silly person who doesn't want to view it since I'll be there at the end of the week and would rather experience it in the flesh (likewise as I am touring Monticello I have sworn off looking at nickels and $2 bills for the same reason :-) ).

And I can't figure out if the chapel only opens for weddings and such nowadays, or if it's viewable to the public though it may be closed when weddings are held. I guess it will be nice to see it in the flesh - it looked pretty when I saw it on the website (in the brief moment before I destroyed the mental image, in keeping with the above, natch) but I'd imagine the interior to be equally impressive.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,999 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Academical Village - accessible?

The University offers a tour of the Grounds (don't call it a campus), that includes the rooms on the Lawn and on the next row of buildings called the Range. Poe's room is on the Range, not the Lawn, but has a glass door so you can see in 24/7. I'm not sure of the schedule for grounds tours, but I'm sure if you search for grounds tour on the website (or for the University Guides, who give the tour) you'll find something. I would not expect to tour the insides of the lawn or range rooms, or the pavilion buildings on the lawn, as most are still in use for their intended purspose: student and faculty housing. But you should still be able to get a great feel for the place.

The Chapel isn't very large, and is much more modern than the Rotunda / Lawn. I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

Peachtree City...
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Academical Village - accessible?

Ah, that clears things up - thanks to both of you!

5. Re: Academical Village - accessible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2014, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Charlottesville