We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good places for lunch, dinner?

Illinois
Level Contributor
509 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Good places for lunch, dinner?

Greetings! My husband and I will be spending one night at the Inn at the Crossroads later this month. We will be visiting Monticello before moving on to the next leg of our road trip. We'd appreciate suggestions for good, moderately priced places for lunch or dinner. Good views, outdoor seating, or unique atmosphere (or all of these!) would be a plus. Perhaps in town would be a nice change of pace from Monticello and our B&B. Thanks for any help!

Charlottesville
Level Contributor
348 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good places for lunch, dinner?

any types of food you particularly like? also do you know which day of the week it'll be? some places are closed sundays or Mondays, and others are crazy crowded on weekends. that being said, a few good options in town with outdoor seating are Mas for Spanish tapas, Maya (upscale southern with a great patio) and Horse and Hound (gastropub) in midtown, or any number of spots along the downtown pedestrian mall - you could just walk around til you see something that looks good. Bang is also good for Asian-fusion small plate tapas-style dining with a cool porch and back patio off the mall. For something inexpensive for lunch, consider one of the all u can eat Indian buffets at Milan or Royal Indian Restaurant. Both surprisingly good quality for upscale buffets. Thai 99 is also a favorite for lunch.

If you wanted to drive out towards the Blue Ridge mountains, Blue Mountain and Devil's Backbone breweries make good beer and serve pretty good food. I think both have outdoor seating with good views.

Edited: 03 July 2013, 17:55
Mentioned in this post
Charlottesville, VA
Level Contributor
132 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good places for lunch, dinner?

Blue Mountain Brewery is a favorite for out of town guests in my family. Great views, the food is great, the patio is a really fun place to enjoy a meal.

It is about 20 minutes west of town off of I64. Not sure which way you are headed.

In town near Monticello I would recommend the Local or Tavola in the Belmont neighborhood. Only a few minutes from Monticello but definitely a different vibe than the country.

Yankee's suggestions are all great as well.

Mentioned in this post
Blue Mountain Brewery
Blue Mountain Brewery
930 Reviews
Afton, VA
tavola
tavola
283 Reviews
Charlottesville, VA
Illinois
Level Contributor
509 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good places for lunch, dinner?

Thanks, Yankeebaseball! I'll add your suggestions to my Charlottesville notes. We will be there mid-week. We both enjoy good fish or seafood, steaks, Italian, German, Greek, or Thai. I'm game to try different ethnic foods, but my hubby is a little less adventurous. Please keep the suggestions coming, anyone else!

Mentioned in this post
Illinois
Level Contributor
509 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good places for lunch, dinner?

Thank you, Foresterin. Adding these to my list.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
12,409 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good places for lunch, dinner?

We enjoyed both Bang and Milan.

Charlottesville
Level Contributor
348 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good places for lunch, dinner?

For seafood, I've had some good meals at Blue Light on the downtown mall. last time I was there I had some good raw oysters and pan seared ahi tuna. And if you like sushi, I'd recommend Ten and Myoko on the downtown mall. both are very good. For steaks, the Downtown Grill also on the mall has the reputation for best steaks, though it's kind of pricey. Aberdeen Barn which is sort of a chain also is up there. For Italian, as the other poster suggested, Tavola has the reputation of being the best Italian place in town (though Bella's in midtown and Vivace are also good). But some consider Tavola the best overall restaurant in town as well. There are many greek, Mediterranean and kabob places in town. You see plenty walking around. And there's a number of good thai places, in addition to Thai 99 I recommend for lunch earlier. You can click on the thai box under restaurants in cville and see them all listed.

Mentioned in this post
Aberdeen Barn
Aberdeen Barn
244 Reviews
Charlottesville, VA
tavola
tavola
283 Reviews
Charlottesville, VA
Vivace
Vivace
184 Reviews
Charlottesville, VA
Illinois
Level Contributor
509 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good places for lunch, dinner?

Wow! Thank you, everyone, for the great suggestions. Now I'm getting hungry! Asheville sounds like a great food city.

Edited: 04 July 2013, 17:06
Mentioned in this post
Asheville
Asheville
North Carolina Mountains, NC
Illinois
Level Contributor
509 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good places for lunch, dinner?

Oops! Briefly forgot which forum I'm in: the thank-you above should've referred to CHARLOTTESVILLE, not Asheville - which is a North Carolina stop earlier in our trip!

Mentioned in this post
Asheville
Asheville
North Carolina
North Carolina
United States
Charlottesville
Level Contributor
348 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good places for lunch, dinner?

haha no worries! There ARE many great restaurants in Asheville! Tupelo Honey never disappoints! Are you guys big craft beer fans? if so, Asheville was rated one of the two top beer towns in the country this year. If so, make sure to stop by the Thirsty Monk and Jack of the Wood. They are right next to each other. Thirsty Monk has a great Belgian beer bar in the basement too!

Mentioned in this post
Asheville
Asheville
Jack of the Wood
Jack of the Wood
428 Reviews
Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
78 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good places for lunch, dinner?

Just went over 4th of July and trump winery had some great food - shrimp and green bean salad and maryland crab cakes and just beautiful scenery, plus live band for lunch. I agree with the other person who said Blue mountain brewery, although not as close. We Ate there twice. Best views of any brewery, great food - pizza, salad and sandwiches plus great brews. They also offer local wines. Thursdays you get to "steal the glass" when you buy a beer.

Mentioned in this post
Blue Mountain Brewery
Blue Mountain Brewery
930 Reviews
Afton, VA