We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying cockroaches

Which Charlottesville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
CT
Level Contributor
363 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Flying cockroaches

I apologize for sounding like an idiot but I have to ask this since I'm so phobic about these huge flying cockroaches. I've been freaked out by them on trips to FL and NC and I was wondering if they are in VA also since we are planning a trip to Charlottesville and Williamsburg.

Level Contributor
2,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying cockroaches

I belive you are referring to palmetto bugs which aren't really roaches. No we don't have them.

We do have stink bugs which are equally ugly and do fly.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,833 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying cockroaches

Oh Bacchus, don't scare the poor girl! No, no Palmettos. And yes, there MIGHT be stink bugs depending on the weather, but they aren't always around. They're small. And they're more likely to be walking, not flying. Be unafraid -- enjoy your trip.

CT
Level Contributor
363 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying cockroaches

Thanks for the feedback. If it was merely a vacation I wouldn't be as freaked but my husband wants to visit with an eye toward retirement there and I told him I couldn't live with those huge cockroaches/palmettos, I'd be a wreck. Thanks also for not making fun of me.

Free Union, Virginia
Level Contributor
26 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying cockroaches

I used to live in Williamsburg and saw palmetto bugs on occasion though not frequently by any means. I have never seen one in Charlottesville.

Charlottesville
Level Contributor
333 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying cockroaches

I've lived in Cville a number of years and also lived in Wburg for 2 years. I haven't seen any flying bugs like that in Cville, and can't recall seeing anything like that in Wburg either, so I think you're good.

CT
Level Contributor
363 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying cockroaches

Thanks guys. It's awful having such a phobia, I've had nightmares about those things. They're scary enough when they just crawl, but the flying ones freak me out big time, enough that I want to avoid places that have them.

Newport News...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying cockroaches

I've lived in the Tidewater area for almost twenty years. Saw the first of flying roaches in lower York county in the summer flying toward the lights on our porch. I still see them in the summer flying around patio, porch, or car lights and now I live In the middle of Newport News Park. I just killed one that flew in the house, which prompted me to look them up. EWWW!!!

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
43 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying cockroaches

I agree with Joyce a. I live in Va Beach & we have them here. They live on trees, so if you shine a light on a tree at night you will see them. They are hideous & I also have a great phobia of them. Palmetto bugs are in fact cockroaches.

9. Re: Flying cockroaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2013, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Charlottesville