We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horseback Riding at Monument Valley

Nebo, NC
Level Contributor
231 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Horseback Riding at Monument Valley

I'm hoping for feedback from those who have done MV on horseback through tour providers. Some things in particular:

-actual time in the saddle

-scenic quality of the trail(s)

-are horses dead-heads or are they matched to rider skill

-are any providers allowing pairing rather nose-to-tail

-is there any/enough time to pause for photos

Trying to decide between riding on Hwy 128 out of Moab or MV. Has anyone done both for comparison?

Sure would appreciate your experiences!

New York City
Level Contributor
509 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Horseback Riding at Monument Valley

Which companies do horseback tours there?

Nebo, NC
Level Contributor
231 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Horseback Riding at Monument Valley

I found a couple of horseback guided tours on the following website:

http://discovernavajo.com/valley.html

Also, the following old forum topic on T/A had some suggestions, but I don't know what may have changed since 2011:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g57072-i3667-k4517…

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
109 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Horseback Riding at Monument Valley

We did a horseback tour in MV back in July 2012 through Sacred Monument Tours.

It was part of a horseback/jeep tour combo, so we had 2 hours in the saddle and 3 hours in a jeep.

I think the trail used was the Wildcat Trail which goes around the West Mitten Butte. So the scenery is different than just doing the loop road, and you get a more up-close experience of the buttes.

See this map for details:

americansouthwest.net/utah/monument_valley/v…

I don't know if they allow pairing on one horse, you would have to check with the outfitter.

As far as I remember we only did one pause, where the guide took our picture in front of the West Mitten Butte. But I'm sure if you ask they can add more pauses. We did take a lot of pictures, but some of them were quite blurry as it is quite hard to take a picture while bouncing up and down on a horse.

I would definitely recommend doing a horseback tour at MV.

To me it is the quintessential western setting, so it seemed like the perfect place to do a horseback tour.

I would also opt for a private jeep tour, if you plan on doing the loop road.

The loop road is not in very good condition , so I would not do it in a private car, plus a jeep tour takes you into the back-country as well, which has some amazing scenery.

Nebo, NC
Level Contributor
231 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Horseback Riding at Monument Valley

Thanks for the link, Rosinmanden. I agree with you--MV is the perfect setting for horseback riding. The pairing I meant was regarding riding side by side (in order to more easily converse) rather than in single file. I've had horses all my life and would look forward to a casual experience where I didn't feel like I was doing a pony ride. Did you have a large number of riders in your group? I'm wondering if the number of people or the back-to-back tours made the difference with your opportunities to take pictures. And, yes, the jeep tour is a must, and it's already booked! I hope that between bouncing horses and bouncing jeeps you still went home with fabulous pictures from your trip!

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
109 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Horseback Riding at Monument Valley

Misunderstood what you meant by pairing :)

We rode in a single file.

For some of the tour you're traveling on a narrow trail, so there's not really that much room to ride side-by-side, unless you wanna go through the scrubs.

Other times there should be enough space to ride side-by-side.

This is a picture of part of the trail, with our tour guide leading:

s8.postimage.org/6qoph63ud/DSC03791.jpg

We rode in single file since this was the first time any of us had ever ridden a horse before, so we just kinda let the horses do their own thing and let them follow each other.

I'm guessing since you have been around horses your whole life, riding side-by-side through the scrubs should be possible (but that could of course be prohibited)

We were the only ones on both the horseback and jeep tour (same guide on both tours as well), so that definitely gave us a bit more freedom to stop whenever we wanted to.

I don't know if that is always the case with Sacred Monument Tours, but we really enjoyed it.

Edited: 26 February 2013, 21:03
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
109 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Horseback Riding at Monument Valley

And yes, we did go home with a bunch of beautiful pictures :)

Monument Valley was among our favorite places during our (too) short trip through the southwest

Nebo, NC
Level Contributor
231 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Horseback Riding at Monument Valley

Nice picture! No blur on that one--just impressive scenery and vivid colors to whet one's appetite to follow in your moccasins. :-)

8. Re: Horseback Riding at Monument Valley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2014, 05:15