We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monument or Page?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
53 reviews
Monument or Page?

Hello.

I am near to finishing the planning of our road trip for September and have had lots of very useful advice using the TA forums - thank you.

I have a further question please: We have one night between our 2 night stay at GC south rim and our 2 night stay at Bryce. We cannot decide whether we would prefer to stay at Page to visit Antelope canyon and Lake Powell or to stay at the view hotel to visit Monument valley.

According to map planning sites the to stay at Monument would increase our travel time significantly but cant help thinking the view of Monument from the view hotel looks stunning!

Your thoughts and advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

PS Will also post this onto the Page forum.

4 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
20,898 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Monument or Page?

This is kind of a subjective question and is like comparing apples and oranges. The views from the The View hotel at Monument Valley are stunning, particularly at sunset and sunrise. Antelope Canyon is a 90 minute experience. With just an overnight in Page, you'll only be able to see a very small portion of Lake Powell as you drive past it on your way to Bryce. To truly experience Lake Powell, you need to be in boat and have at least a full day. If you decide to stay in Monument Valley, you see the same part of Lake Powell on the way to Bryce. The drive time difference is about an hour. If you can get a room at The View in Monument Valley, that would be my choice.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,372 posts
250 reviews
2. Re: Monument or Page?

Replied in your AZ thread. There’s no wrong choice. I’d take Monument Valley as long as you can stay at the View.

Liege, Belgium
Level Contributor
12 posts
117 reviews
3. Re: Monument or Page?

Is it a good idea to sleep in Page to visit monument valley ?

That means staying until sunset at monument valley and drive 2h back to page in the night.

Is highway 98 safe during the night ?

For a European, driving 2h with full darkness without a human soul, is some weird experience :-)

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
11,117 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: Monument or Page?

Leodium,

I would not recommend doing this drive in the dark...at all! The road out of Monument Valley to Rt. 160 is extremely dark at night as well as Rt. 98!

You have free roaming wildlife to add to that as well as closer to 2-1/2 hours of driving on unfamiliar roads. I would not attempt this!

SJG

Reply to: Monument or Page?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted