We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need expert advice please.

Weatherford, Texas
Level Contributor
180 posts
153 reviews
Need expert advice please.

We have 2 nights at the Far View Lodge in Mesa Verde, then 1 night at Canyon De Chelly, 1 night at The View in Monument valley and then 2 nights in the Grand Canyon. We are a family of 5 and boy was it hard to secure lodging! Now, I am wondering if this is too much driving . I have been unable to secure 2 nights in Monument Valley. Suggestions?

4 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
20,505 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Need expert advice please.

Perhaps you should put this in context as I assume that you have to reach Mesa Verde from somewhere and that you are going somewhere else after the Grand Canyon.

But for reference sake -

Mesa Verde to Canyon De Chelly is a 2.5 hour drive, no stops.

Canyon De Chelly to Monument Valley is a 2 hour drive

Monument Valley to the South Rim Grand Canyon is a 3.5 hour drive

That doesn't sound like a lot of driving when visiting places in the southwest. If you are driving from Texas, that's probably where the "too much driving" may come in to play.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,174 posts
250 reviews
2. Re: Need expert advice please.

Your schedule is certainly manageable. It would be helpful to know your full trip plan though.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,896 posts
451 reviews
3. Re: Need expert advice please.

For sure you don't have too much driving on what you have shared with us. What we don't know is how you're getting there or getting out. That might change the answer. One night is sufficient at Monument Valley.

Have fun.

Weatherford, Texas
Level Contributor
180 posts
153 reviews
4. Re: Need expert advice please.

Great ! We are driving from Fort Worth, Texas. I made all reservations around the Grand Canyon (we were able to get 2 days here, back in November when I read your advice.) We have 2 nights in Santa Fe, 1 in Taos, 2 in Mesa Verde, 1 in Chinle, 1 in Monument Valley at The View Executive Cabin (per your recommendation), then on to the Grand Canyon for 2 nights at Yavapai Lodge. We then have 4 days allotted to our return drive home. We are trying to book a back country tour at Monument Valley for 3pm. We have benefitted from your advice on past National Parks excursions. My family thanks you-all of our trips have been fantastic!

Reply to: Need expert advice please.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted