We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fresno to Monument Valley to Mount Rushmore

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Fresno to Monument Valley to Mount Rushmore

I am wanting to work out the best possible route to get to Mount Rushmore and would like to incorporate Monument Valley on the way and possible Zion can someone please suggest some ideas.

I was thinking of flying from Fresno to Phoenix just to free up some driving time and go from there but I'm really not sure this is the best option....I could go from Las Vegas or Albuquerque too.

I'm leaving Fresno on the 5/23 and was hoping to get into Denver for a concert on the 25th but can skip this if I need more time as I have seen this artist before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't need to spend any time in Vegas (would have been there early in the month) and have been to the Grand Canyon so don't need to go here either).

Thanks

4 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
20,470 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Fresno to Monument Valley to Mount Rushmore

There's going to A LOT of driving involved between Monument Valley and Mount Rushmore. Plus, there are several national parks and points of interest between those two places. What is your plan after visiting Mount Rushmore? How much time do you have for this trip?

Edited: 13 December 2017, 20:03
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
20,470 posts
41 reviews
2. Re: Fresno to Monument Valley to Mount Rushmore

But if you want to just include Zion, Monument Valley, Denver and Mount Rushmore, here's a plan to consider.

May 23: Early flight in to Las Vegas from Fresno. Drive to Zion NP. (3 hour drive). Overnight

May 24: Drive to Monument Valley. (4.5 hour drive). Overnight

May 25: Drive to Denver. (8 hour drive) Overnight

May 26: Drive to Mount Rushmore (6 hour drive) Overnight

Not sure where you'd be headed after Mount Rushmore. Maybe to Rapid City South Dakota for a flight to somewhere else.

That said, this plan really doesn't allow any time at Zion. It's recommended to have a minimum of 2 nights there to give you one full day. This isn't a plan for most travelers. But if you don't mind the driving and skipping other points of interest on the route, it's doable.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,887 posts
449 reviews
3. Re: Fresno to Monument Valley to Mount Rushmore

Connie's done her best to outline how this could potentially be done in the time you have allocated. But the concept of doing this over essentially a two to three day period is not the least bit practical. I would encourage you to rethink this entirely.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
4. Re: Fresno to Monument Valley to Mount Rushmore

Thanks for your input, I think your right so I think I will drop the 'being in Denver for the 25th' (as I said, seen her before) and spend the extra time needed in these places instead. I don't have to be in Florida (flying) until the 1st/2nd but I don't want to be anywhere to long as I like to get in as much as possible.

Ultimately this trip was to see Mount Rushmore and originally I thought of going through Yosemite but then this was put on my radar so I thought why not!

Reply to: Fresno to Monument Valley to Mount Rushmore
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted