We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mesa to Monument Valley then Grand Canyon and Back

Chicago, Illinois
4 posts
Mesa to Monument Valley then Grand Canyon and Back

I have a 2 1/2 day break on a job in Mesa this March. I wanted to make a drive to Monument Valley from Mesa and stay the night in the park. The next day Drive to Grand Canyon and spend a night and most of the day. The drive back the next morning to Mesa. I would need to be back in Mesa by Noon.

Any suggestions on routes, timing and places to stay?

I am good for room up to $250 a night.

Thanks

SG

9 replies to this topic
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,176 posts
250 reviews
1. Re: Mesa to Monument Valley then Grand Canyon and Back

No point in driving the 6 hours to Monument Valley unless you have a room reservation there at the View or Goulding’s. It's a Long way to go. Take a proper native guided tour upon arrival. Try to be back in your room at the View before sunset

You’ll need to leave the next morning right after breakfast. MV to Grand Canyon National Park Desert View Gate will take most of 3 hours. Add 30-45 minutes and have a meal at Cameron Trading Post. Then allow 3+ hours to get from DV to the hotels in the park.

Grand Canyon National Park back to Mesa is 4 hours.

It’s a very rushed trip. Not one that I’d endorse. It really deserves more time. Consider using the full trip for Grand Canyon National Park only, maybe with a drive through Sedona.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
20,518 posts
41 reviews
2. Re: Mesa to Monument Valley then Grand Canyon and Back

It's a 5.5 hour drive from Mesa to Monument Valley. GoogleMaps or a printed map is a good resource for routing. There are two lodges at Monument Valley. The first choice would be The View. The second choice would be Gouldings Lodge. From Monument Valley to the Grand Canyon is a 3 hour drive. Book a room at one of the 6 lodges inside the park. Use the following links for booking a room.

www.grandcanyonlodges.com/about-xanterra/

https://www.visitgrandcanyon.com

If there are no vacancies at the in park lodging, then look in the nearby town of Tusayan.

It's a 4 hour drive back to Mesa from the Grand Canyon.

Drive times are wheels turning, no stops whatsoever. Add about 30% more time to allow for stops.

Chicago, Illinois
4 posts
3. Re: Mesa to Monument Valley then Grand Canyon and Back

Thanks for the quick response. Is it possible to drive the 17 mile loop in a rental car or would you advise one of the tours? I am on my own. Is it best to join a group tour or hire a private guide?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
67,176 posts
250 reviews
4. Re: Mesa to Monument Valley then Grand Canyon and Back

Join a proper tour. There will be several opportunities depending on when you arrive.

If anything happens to your car at Monument Valley, I guarantee you will NOT make it back to Mesa by noon on Monday.

Chicago, Illinois
4 posts
5. Re: Mesa to Monument Valley then Grand Canyon and Back

Man you are really helpful. Much appreciated. Do you recommend any tour over the others? I would like to do an early morning one.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
67,176 posts
250 reviews
6. Re: Mesa to Monument Valley then Grand Canyon and Back

Specify a back country tour. If you do it early in the morning, you’re really going to have to haul a** to get to the Grand Canyon National Park hotels before sunset.

Chicago, Illinois
4 posts
7. Re: Mesa to Monument Valley then Grand Canyon and Back

Would you suggest staying at Monument Valley 2 nights and skipping the Canyon?I am covering Spring Training and would have another opportunity to get to the Canyon if that makes a difference.

I have been to the Canyon but never to Monument Valley.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
67,176 posts
250 reviews
8. Re: Mesa to Monument Valley then Grand Canyon and Back

Since you say you’ve visited the Grand Canyon, I’d skip it and give 2 nights to Monument Valley, or consider spending the second night at Flagstaff or Sedona. Grand Canyon National Park takes and needs more time than you’re proposing.

In my first reply I suggested Grand Canyon National Park only. Monument Valley is further away and still deserves time.

utah
Level Contributor
3,389 posts
42 reviews
9. Re: Mesa to Monument Valley then Grand Canyon and Back

I think you would be wise to skip the Grand Canyon - too little time, especially where you've been there before and can get there again.

Something that may be worth considering is taking a slightly longer route either there on the way or back and visit Chinle and Canyon de Chelly and the Petrified Forest. It's been many years since I've been to either of those so I can't remember how long they take to visit.

Reply to: Mesa to Monument Valley then Grand Canyon and Back
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted