We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monument Valley track

South Australia...
Level Contributor
35 posts
41 reviews
Monument Valley track

I last visited Monument Valley in 2011. I drove down into it from near the View Hotel, the "track" (can't call it a road) was pretty bad but passable with care, I am experienced in negotiating sandy, corrugated tracks like this. Vehicle was a RAV 4. My question is: has this track changed to any great degree since 2011.?

5 replies to this topic
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,143 posts
249 reviews
1. Re: Monument Valley track

Thanks for posting in the forum.

We generally discourage driving the loop road as it is officially unmaintained. I never comment on current conditions or speculate on future dates, because the road condition can literally change hour by hour.

Go to MV and employ a native guide. If you drive a rental vehicle of any kind, it will be at your own risk.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,548 posts
170 reviews
2. Re: Monument Valley track

The road is not maintained. The only change is from wear and tear and weather related events.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
3. Re: Monument Valley track

You will be fine as long as the weather is ok. I just completed it in a rental car (Nissan Altima) and got through it without a scratch. As long as you drive with care and take it very slow in parts there should be no problems. The hotel staff say that it is only for 4wd, but they have a vested interest in saying such in order to get you to go on a guided tour, which would be ok if they weren't so expensive! The guy at the toll booth told me the only cars they recommend not going on the track are low sports cars such as porches etc. He was right - the hotel staff were not.

South Australia...
Level Contributor
35 posts
41 reviews
4. Re: Monument Valley track

Thanks mate...figured this was the case. Enjoy it ? Awesome place.

australia
Level Contributor
632 posts
209 reviews
5. Re: Monument Valley track

We have just returned from MV.

The road was pretty rough and I would be worried about voiding any Rental Car insurance.

Our tour with Navajo Spirit was just outstanding.

Learnt so much and went to Back Country which was amazing.

Not cheap but money well spent.

Reply to: Monument Valley track
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted