We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting in September - a couple of questions

Kirkconnel, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Visiting in September - a couple of questions

Hi everyone,

We will arrive in Monument Valley after a long drive from Vegas (I messed up my bookings rookie mistake and nothing I can change now). We are in MV for one night before joining Route 66 and travelling to Chicago.

Thinking we will stop for lunch in Flagstaff, grab some supplies (water and snacks) then head up to The View (premium cabin booked).

I have checked online for sunset / sunrise times - we simply have to be there to see sunset. The websites suggest sunset to be 7.29, how long before that time does the light start going - we really don't want to miss a second of the fading light if possible. Then to bed and up bright and early to see the sunrise (websites indicating 7am for that)

Alcohol - I know you can't buy on Navajo land, but can you bring in a few bottles of beer to consume in the cabin?

We have booked a private tour with Navajo Spirit Tours leaving at check out time from The View, then it's back to Flagstaff to join the Mother Road.

Thanks in advance, Linz

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
11,350 posts
1 review
1. Re: Visiting in September - a couple of questions

target getting there around 6pm.

drive you either could go through flagstaff or you go toward Zion, by pass zion, to Kanab then to Page then to monument valley. both Kanab and Page have supermnarkets (as does st George)

from vegas to MV you lose an hour with rime zone change.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,627 posts
249 reviews
2. Re: Visiting in September - a couple of questions

Yes, you need to be there even before 6PM. The Flagstaff route is a little longer from LV, though it might be more convenient from the airport.

Alcohol is prohibited on the Rez. If you bring it, be VERY DISCREET. You'll be in violation of tribal laws and subject to arrest.

Kirkconnel, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Visiting in September - a couple of questions

Thank you both.

I'll enjoy the sunset just as much with a herbal tea - I wouldn't want to offend anyone / risk arrest.

After 4 days in Vegas - my liver may appreciate the break!

Texas
Level Contributor
228 posts
141 reviews
4. Re: Visiting in September - a couple of questions

We enjoyed wine and a"picnic" dinner on the porch of our premium cabin. We enjoyed several glasses of wine but were very discreet and respectful. Just spectacular! The changing color of the canyon is too beautiful for words. A very spiritual experience. We started the wildcat trail at first light and watched sun come up from the trail. Hard to describe.

After a week in Arizona for the first time - slot canyons, horseshoe bend, Grand Canton and Sedona - MV cabin, sunset, early morning hike and tour of the valley floor was our very favorite.

Get there to to enjoy sunset!

5. Re: Visiting in September - a couple of questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2018, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Monument Valley