We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary advice

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
106 posts
195 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary advice

I would like some input about our itinerary and whether it will work. We will be driving in from Page and are planning to have lunch in Kayenta before arriving at Monument Valley. We have a Suburban, and would like to drive the 17 mile scenic road. Afterwards, we are headed to the Four Corners Monument because my kids really want to do this. Then we are planning to spend the night in Farmington. Will this work? Thanks in advance for your help.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,093 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary advice

That's a really long day. Is the Suburban your own? Rentals will be prohibited by contract.

Plan to enjoy your lunch at the View Hotel at MV. There's nothing worth stopping for at Kayenta other than gas.

Where are you going after Farmington?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
106 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary advice

Yes, you are right. It does seem like a really long day. It is our Suburban, so no worries about a rental contract. However, I am a little concerned about the road condition, although we have driven the Suburban in fairly rough terrain before and have been just fine.

I would like to have lunch at the View restaurant, and that is an excellent suggestion. Much better than Kayenta. Thank you!

After Farmington, we are headed home to Texas. We have no other important stops after the Four Corners Monument. I'm concerned that we won't make it to Four Corners on time because it is about an hour and a half from Monument Valley. It doesn't look like there are many - or any - accommodations near the Four Corners in the event we tried to stay somewhere close to Four Corners and then just go there the next morning. Are there any hotels, motels, etc. around other than Farmington?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
66,093 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary advice

The Four Corners monument is literally in the middle of nowhere.

Do yourself a favor and stay overnight at Monument Valley, either at the View or at Gouldings. There are no other options. Enjoy sunset and sunrise. Get up and drive on the next day to the FC and beyond.

Regarding driving the loop road. If you have a problem or breakdown it could take a few days before you can get repairs and there will be no discounts or shopping options. Since the vehicle needs to get you home to TX, I'd strongly recommend booking a native guided tour in their vehicle.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
106 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary advice

Unfortunately, there is no availability at either the View or Gouldings for our stay. I think we'll just have to settle for driving to the visitor center and seeing the views from there and then heading on to FC and Farmington. It would be a great plan to get to stay at the View, but at least I guess we'll get to see some of it from the VC. Thanks very much for your help, Much appreciated.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
66,093 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary advice

If you linger longer at Monument Valley, and I'd encourage you to do so, your last option for changing plans will be to book a hotel room at Kayenta. There are several roadside brands there. I think the newest is a Hampton.

The FC Monument is boring enough to get to, but if your kids are that excited and you arrive after it closes for the day, the rest of your drive for the next couple of hours to Farmington will be downright miserable.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
106 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary advice

Haha RedRox! So true!

I think we are going to leave Page earlier and arrive in MV by noon so we can have lunch and then maybe try to get a jeep tour around the 17 mile loop. Hopefully there will be jeeps with availability for this. I don't think we have time for the back country tour, although I know that would be great. If we leave by 5, we should be at the FC by 7 at the latest. Their website says they close at 7:45.

I would love to extend the trip and stay in Kayenta, but we'll have been on the road almost 3 weeks by this point and need to make some progress towards getting back home! Thanks again for your help.

utah
Level Contributor
3,203 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary advice

Since you are already going to be in Farming, consider stopping at the Aztec ruins: https://www.nps.gov/azru/index.htm

Texas
Level Contributor
228 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary advice

Having just visited MV - I concur about using a tour for the valley. We used majestic and it was amazing. Cars of various types were making it through but can't imagine they enjoyed the sights. Nerve wracking for the driver to say the least! A week in Arizona and this was our favorite tour! Well worth the time/money. Wonderful to share the experience with your family rather than mark it off your list.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
106 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary advice

Thanks. I appreciate the advice!

10. Re: Itinerary advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2018, 05:17