We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Conditions in October

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Road Conditions in October

We were lucky enough to pick up a room for one night at the Grand Canyon Lodge on the north rim during our trip to the area this coming October just before it closes for winter. We plan to travel from Las Vegas to Zion NP, the Page area, Monument Valley and the GC North Rim (visited the south rim last year). We are returning to Zion to try once more to hike the Narrows (high water prevented last time) so the bulk of our trip with be in the other areas.

I'm hoping to learn what the road conditions might be like in these areas in October. We'll likely visit MV using a tour company rather than drive on this loop so I'm asking more about main paved roads and potential for snow related issues. Should we play it safe and rent a 4x4 or is it safe to assume the roads will be maintained well enough to get around the major roads in a car? I will be posting a similar message in the GC, Page and Zion forums also.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Grand Canyon North Rim
Grand Canyon North Rim
1,903 Reviews
Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
The Narrows
The Narrows
2,811 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
5 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
17,583 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Conditions in October

If road conditions are bad enough to need a 4x4 vehicle, you probably shouldn't be out driving. Having 4x4 can sometimes give a false sense of security. I've seen more than one 4x4 off the side of the side of the road in a snowstorm.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,298 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Conditions in October

Like Connie said 4x4 can help you move in snow, but doesn't do much to help you stop when it is slippery.

However that said, if you have snow related problems on the road (save maybe at the north rim) in mid October it would be highly unusual. I would never worry about it.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Conditions in October

I agree for the most part. It still helps to understand how well the roads are maintained in general during early winter. Are they often impassible or closed or quickly cleared during snow fall. If you travel much in winter in unfamiliar areas Some find it helpful to have an idea of what you can except. Some areas require snow tires, snow chains onboard or 4x4's during certain times of the year. Is this the case in your area?

I'm not asking for a weather report rather a general idea of what to expect.

Thanks again.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Conditions in October

Thanks Kbec

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
17,583 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Conditions in October

Agree with kbec and with RedRox ' s response on one of your Arizona threads. Bad road conditions won't be much of an issue except perhaps at the North Rim.

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Grand Canyon North Rim
Grand Canyon North Rim
1,903 Reviews
Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
Reply to: Road Conditions in October
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted