We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suv or mpv

Exeter
Level Contributor
134 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
suv or mpv

Hi

We're doing a month long road trip in July 3 adults and a 16 year old. We've booked an SUV rental but wondering if an mpv would be better for taking us and our luggage around. We are driving Vegas, Grand Canyon south rim before coming to monument valley and staying at the view. We've booked a guided tour but what I wondered was about the roads into and up to the view. Which vehicle would be best do you think?

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
64,778 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suv or mpv

All of the roads you'll be driving will be good paved highways. Choose the vehicle that will be most comfortable for you.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,176 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suv or mpv

Agree with RedRox. Don't take your rental on the roads there. Take a tour. The roads up to The View are paved and totally fine.

With four persons, which isn't that bad, do look at luggage capacity. An SUV also gives a few more inches above the roadway which is nice for viewing. The term MPV is not used as much in the USA as it is in Europe. SUV is more common. Do look at the car types within the category to learn more. Some of the more commonly seen SUVs in American rental fleets are Toyota RAV4, Ford Escape, Ford Edge and others. You're never guaranteed the exact model but something within the class.

Your rental agreement will prohibit any off-road usage (such as within Monument Valley) so don't make off road use a determining factor. I've rented all of the above and feel any of them would work great. There are others, as well.

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
The View Hotel
The View Hotel
6,203 Reviews
Monument Valley, UT
United States
United States
North America
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,290 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suv or mpv

"Don't take your rental on the roads there" [Monument Valley]

I cannot second (third?) this advice strongly enough. I just got back from my road trip yesterday. I knew the road at MV was rough but holey moley, it's really, really, REALLY bad. According to our guide, that road "kills" at least 40 cars a year. I don't know how many vehicles drive it, so that statistic is a bit meaningless .... unless you're one of those 40, in which case, you're looking at a wait of several hours for a tow truck and some hefty repair costs, not to say the voiding of your car rental contract which may come with some penalties of its own.

Packing tip (here's what I did) - rather than schlepping our suitcases into/out of each hotel, we put our clothes in one suitcase (in our case, a plastic box because it fit into the trunk of our small convertible easier) and we each used an smaller "weekender" style bag for our toiletries etc. and only the clothing we would need for the first stop. As we left each hotel to move onto the next, we would swap out our clothes so at each venue, we were only bringing out of the car what we actually needed. I packed all our clothes in individual ziploc style bags which kept everything organized. I'd read this tip on the road trip forum and it worked a treat.

Edited: 18 June 2017, 15:14
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,176 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: suv or mpv

HolaGate, thanks for checking back in. Hope you had a great trip.

Little Rock
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: suv or mpv

A minivan usually offers as much or more room than an SUV at a substantially lower cost. Obviously demand drives price so check both types of vehicles.

Minivans such as a Chrysler or Dodge often have televisions and 12 volt as well as 120 AC outlets. Minivans also offer a higher viewing and big windows (vs a standard car / sedan / saloon.

6. Re: suv or mpv

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2018, 06:17