We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mesa Verde to Monument Valley

4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mesa Verde to Monument Valley

If I am reading it right, there is a northern route that goes through Utah and a southern route through Arizona. Is there a 'better' way? Before Mesa Verde we will be coming from Shiprock and visiting the Four Corners Monument, if that makes any difference. If the Utah route is better, what stops should we consider on the way?

Mentioned in this post
Utah
Utah
United States
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Mesa
Mesa
Central Arizona, AZ
4 replies to this topic
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,825 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mesa Verde to Monument Valley

The Utah route would be slightly longer, but offer diversions including Bluff, Mexican Hat, Valley of the Gods, Goosenecks, Moki Dugway and much more. But it's a matter of how much time you have available. Our TripAdvisor meetups have included entire weeks in the region.

So how much time will you have?

Mentioned in this post
Utah
Utah
United States
Valley of the Gods
Valley of the Gods
441 Reviews
Mexican Hat, UT
Moki Dugway
Moki Dugway
269 Reviews
Utah
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Mesa Verde to Monument Valley

We have a reservation at the View for the night we leave Mesa Verde (and could only afford one night). We will be at Mesa Verde two nights, so the plan was to leave very early that morning and arrive mid-afternoon at The View. We still haven't figured out the tour thing once we get there - at that price (not seeing anything under $75 per person) I'm afraid I'm going to make the wrong choice.

Edited: 28 May 2017, 04:18
Mentioned in this post
The View Hotel
The View Hotel
6,090 Reviews
Monument Valley, UT
Mesa
Mesa
Central Arizona, AZ
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,825 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mesa Verde to Monument Valley

Choose a back country tour. They'll take you beyond the loop road to iconic sites that are otherwise inaccessible.

Four corners is literally a 10 minute stop and wasted money. Choose the northern route via UT to Monument Valley, not for the stops or detours, but for a more scenic ride.

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mesa Verde to Monument Valley

I figured that about four corners, but am traveling with an 11 yo, so....

Utah route it is then :) Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Utah
Utah
United States
Reply to: Mesa Verde to Monument Valley
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Monument Valley