We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route 12 or route 163 with RV?

Ostend, Belgium
Level Contributor
51 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Route 12 or route 163 with RV?

Hello!

Really need your help again. I want to visit Zion, Bryce, Antelope and Canyonlands and Arches. I see there are 2 options: From LV to Zion, take a detour to Page (Antelope Canyon), drive back to visit Bryce Canyon and take the route 12 to Moab. Route 12 seems to be really beautiful. Is it doable with a small RV (only 22ft)?

OR

Do I drive from LV to Zion, then to Bryce, coninue to Page end then via route 163 to Moab (to get a glance of Monument Valley.

Can you give your advice and experience please?

Is Grand Canyon North Rim a must see or can I skyp this if I go to all the other parks already? I want to spend more time in one park so I need to choose.

Thank you in advance!

Jeanique

Mentioned in this post
Ostend, Belgium
Level Contributor
51 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route 12 or route 163 with RV?

Oh, I'll make the trip in June

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
18,599 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route 12 or route 163 with RV?

How much time do you have for this trip? I hope it's at least 10 days.

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route 12 or route 163 with RV?

You won't have any trouble with a 22ft RV on UT12, much bigger ones make the trip just fine.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
64,837 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route 12 or route 163 with RV?

Connie makes a good point. You need 10 days at a minimum. Ideally 2 weeks. There's no wrong choice on your routes.

Where are you starting and ending this trip? Do a loop and do both routes.

Ostend, Belgium
Level Contributor
51 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route 12 or route 163 with RV?

Thank you RedRox, unfortunatly I can't make a loop as I am starting in San Francisco and 3 weeks later leaving in Denver.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
7,008 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Route 12 or route 163 with RV?

Regarding Itinerary, the comments have already been presented for the OP>> https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g28965-…

With the RV, I am assuming a Class C or something similar. Pulling a 22' would be a little different.

Just note that SR12 has those tight hairpin turns in the Escalante Canyons region(Boulder to Escalante). Just be mentally prepared to negotiate them and you will be fine. Should be no problem to keep a regular 'Class C" motorized type RV in the proper driving lane. Allow proper driving times, in daylight hours.

Mentioned in this post
Boulder
Boulder
Colorado
Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Route 12 or route 163 with RV?

I have a 21 foot travel trailer and pull it on 12 with no problems other than the hills being steep. I've also towed a huge horse trailer along a lot of it, the lanes are mostly regulation width and very few overhangs. The worst paved road I have towed my trailer on was CA 1 from the coast to 101, that is a narrow, very tight road with lots of overhanging trees, quite a challenge!

Ostend, Belgium
Level Contributor
51 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Route 12 or route 163 with RV?

Thank you all for the advice so far! Much appreciated! Knowing that driving the R12 wouldn't be a problem,

Which one of both routes do you suggest to take? I'll only be once in my life in this area and as making a loop (back to LV) is no option, which route would you take?

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Route 12 or route 163 with RV?

I would take 12 without any question, but I may be a bit biased, it was a big part of the reason I originally moved to Torrey.

The scenery is absolutely outstanding and incredibly varied, it's the best paved road in the US.

Mentioned in this post
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Route 12 or route 163 with RV?

Hey Killer Bob - reading your posts. Great info. Planning a late July / early Aug trip with 32 ft RV, cat, dog, kid and a hubby who likes his afternoon brew. I know it's not the bestest time of year and Arches has construction; but this is what we've got to work with. I'd love, love to hike into Spooky Gulch et al but on GoogEarth that Hole-in-Rock road doesn't look passable for us even if dry. Is that accurate? I'm so hung up on hiking into the slats that I might rent a Jeep or company. The scenery and "mystery/intrigue" of it could be great fodder for my children's books (middle grade adventures). Do you think it's worth it? Any alt suggestions for me to stir up the creative juices (between Kodachrome and Moab)?

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah