We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monument Valley- Horseshoe Bend - Grand Canyon south rim

Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Monument Valley- Horseshoe Bend - Grand Canyon south rim

Hello everyone,

I am new to this, so i apologize for any errors.

I will be visiting the US this spring so i am planning to visit the National Parks around Utah, AZ etc, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon South rim, HorseShoe bend being on top of the list!! I have allocated 4-5 days for this trip from April 17/18-22/23. So my queries are,

1.Best City for me to touch down. Vegas or Phonenix?

2. Self drive or Book a tour?

I don't consider myself excellent driver, just average. And being from out of US(Hong kong) i am told the rentals would be very expensive? And financial risks are astronomical incase of accidents.(insurance wise)

And i am more than happy to just sit back and enjoy the view as long as the guided tours are not very expensive and have appropriate dates.

So if anyone could recommend me a tour company, i would be very grateful!!

Those three above mentioned place are on my bucket list, but if 4-5 days it too short a time or more than enough I would love some other recommendations as well!!

And i love campings, so if the guided tours happen to be camping tours, i am a happy customer!!

I know i am asking too much but any advice,suggestions and recommendations are very much appreciated!!!

A million thanks in advance!!!

Monument Valley Safari
Private Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
Majestic Monument Valley Touring Co.
Cultural Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Photography Tours
Dineh Bekeyah Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Photography Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
11 replies to this topic
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,532 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monument Valley- Horseshoe Bend - Grand Canyon south rim

I don't know anything about this company but found this by using Google - tours4fun.com/tours/…

I'm not sure that they have any availability as the earliest dates they're showing is mid May, but you could always call and ask.

If nothing is available, then maybe you could rent a car and copy this itinerary. If you go that route, my biggest concerns would be finding accommodations as some of these locations sell out a year in advance. I'd also be concerned about how tiring all this driving would be since you'll be alone and whether or not you'd be driving in the high desert at night (not recommended).

Edited: 24 February 2017, 03:30
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
61,481 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monument Valley- Horseshoe Bend - Grand Canyon south rim

Drive yourself. More importantly, you need to book your overnight accommodations right now. One night each at Grand Canyon National Park, Monument Valley and Page will suffice, in that order or reversed. Fly in and out of Las Vegas.

Edited: 24 February 2017, 03:56
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
15,523 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monument Valley- Horseshoe Bend - Grand Canyon south rim

I agree with RedRox that renting a car and driving yourself is the best way to do this trip. The itinerary he provided is very good. Your issue is going to be finding a hotel room at the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley.

Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monument Valley- Horseshoe Bend - Grand Canyon south rim

thank you for you quick response, very much appreciated.I failed to mention i will be with my wife for this trip. And i am looking into the tours u provided. Thanks again.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,532 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monument Valley- Horseshoe Bend - Grand Canyon south rim

PLEASE NOTE - I know nothing about the tours I linked to or the tour provider. I provided the link solely to give you an example of what's available. Please make sure you thoroughly research any tour you choose before handing over any cash. I believe some companies offer tours conducted in Chinese; unless you speak Mandarin (or Cantonese), you'll want to avoid those.

Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monument Valley- Horseshoe Bend - Grand Canyon south rim

Thank you RedRox. We are leaning more towards driving ourselves than take a tour. As u suggested, we would be better off flying into Vegas in the morning and renting a car and driving to GC South rim.The park lodges are already full so i think i should look into Tusayan or maybe camping spots in the park.

And on the 2nd day we will leave in the mid-afteroon, visit one of the Antelope canyon and Horseshoe bend and spend the night in Page.

And the 3rd day we drive to monument valley and spend a night there.Watch the sunset and the sunrise the following morning. Explore the area a little and leave for Vegas in the afternoon.

Now my concern is, will the drive from Monument valley to Las Vegas be too stressful(long)l, if we start it around noon?

If you have any suggestions about the itinerary, i'm all ears.

Very much appreciated.Thank You So Much

Are should we break it in two? I would prefer not to drive at late hours, me being a novice driver and all.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
61,481 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monument Valley- Horseshoe Bend - Grand Canyon south rim

This is why I put Monument Valley in the middle of your 3 days. It is the most distant from LV. Page and Grand Canyon National Park are about 5 hours drive. MV will be more like 8, without stops.

If you depart Grand Canyon National Park mid afternoon, you won't get to MV or Page before sunset. Plan to leave around noon.

You should not be driving anywhere after dark.

Edited: 24 February 2017, 16:56
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monument Valley- Horseshoe Bend - Grand Canyon south rim

Ahhh... now i see it!!! My itinerary is coming together now!!! Thank you so much!!! I am super excited !! Thanks again!! Much appreciated!!!

Edited: 25 February 2017, 07:43
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monument Valley- Horseshoe Bend - Grand Canyon south rim

Ahhh... now i see it!!! My itinerary is coming together now!!! Thank you so much!!! I am super excited !! Thanks again!! Much appreciated!!!

Edited: 25 February 2017, 07:43
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
61,481 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monument Valley- Horseshoe Bend - Grand Canyon south rim

Have you booked your lodging or campsite reservation? If not, then nothing is coming together yet. Facilities are limited. Spring break crowds are heavy. Prebooking your plan for each night is critical. Fail to do that and you might as well cancel the trip.

Reply to: Monument Valley- Horseshoe Bend - Grand Canyon south rim
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted