We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving MV to Torrey - what to do?

Syosset, New York
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Driving MV to Torrey - what to do?

Hello

Putting some details down on a trip itinerary and looking for some advice

We check out of The View on 4/13 and next stop is Torrey that night. Based on what i have read, it seems to make the most sense to see sunrise/daybreak and then hit the road to make a variety of stops along the way.

from all i have read it sounds like mexican hat, san juan goosenecks, hite overlook, natural bridges and goblin valley. I will have a rental SUV but not willing to take on the 17 mile drive or moki dugway as i dont want to hear it from my wife if god forbid we get stuck!

that being said....if we leave The View after eating an early breakfast, what would be the best route and what from the above should we plan on being able to see so that we can be in torrey in daylight?

thanks in advance

5 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
15,496 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving MV to Torrey - what to do?

Most of the places you mention are along Highway 95. Pick up a printed road map of Utah. Find these places on the map. The route should be obvious. A good, detailed map of that region is the AAA map, Indian Country. It's free to members or can be purchased on Amazon.

Hite overlook may be a bit disappointing. Lake Powell water level over past years has been very low. Hite's been high and dry.

Edited: 21 February 2017, 18:13
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,521 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving MV to Torrey - what to do?

If you want to avoid the Moki Dugway, I think the only other route that makes sense is the 163/191 then take the 95 west (just before you hit Blanding) to Hanksville, then the 24 west to Torrey. According to Google maps, that route is about four hours (that's wheels turning and doesn't allow for traffic or stops to admire the view).

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,613 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving MV to Torrey - what to do?

Well you won't get stuck on Moki unless you are in a rainy spell. But the road is steep with drop-offs and two way traffic. You would go bottom up if heading north from MV. Should just skip the Goosenecks if you do not go SR261, especially if seeing Dead Horse state park near Moab, and Horseshoe Bend near Page.

Toquerville UT
Level Contributor
813 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving MV to Torrey - what to do?

I think you're putting a lot into one day!

Skip Mexican Hat and go the Goosenecks of the San Juan. I'd drive the Moki Dugway, it's perfectly fine and you're right at the start. RT 261 cuts over Cedar Mesa to RT 95, that will save driving to Blanding. Natural Bridges is on RT 95, definitely visit, maybe hike to one of the Bridges. Connie is right, Hite's not worth the time but it's only a short diversion. Look up Little Egypt, it's right off RT 95, similar but much smaller than Goblin Valley and just south of Hanksville. .

Goblin Valley will be a stretch if you stop at Natural Bridges, that's why I suggest Little Egypt. You'll have a long drive but with longer days it shouldn't be a problem.

Syosset, New York
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving MV to Torrey - what to do?

awesome - just what i was looking for...thanks all!

Reply to: Driving MV to Torrey - what to do?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted