We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour operators: big list--who do you recommend and why?

Level Contributor
187 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Tour operators: big list--who do you recommend and why?

Overnighting at The View on Oct. 6 and want to do a morning tour on Oct. 7. There's a big list of tour operators. Are they all the same? I suspect not. Who do you recommend and why? I've found the top rated ones on TA but would appreciate some insight. Navajo Spirit has a sunrise tour, that sounds interesting. Thanks.

Edited: 02 February 2017, 21:34
Monument Valley Safari
Private Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
Majestic Monument Valley Touring Co.
Cultural Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Photography Tours
Dineh Bekeyah Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Photography Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
61,495 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour operators: big list--who do you recommend and why?

The tour provider doesn't really matter. They are all related. We used Navajo Spirit in October and I would recommend them again.

Level Contributor
187 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour operators: big list--who do you recommend and why?

Thanks!

So Cal
Level Contributor
9,866 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour operators: big list--who do you recommend and why?

We went with Monument Valley Safari (and loved it), but I got the impression a lot of the guides work for multiple operators.

Kalispell, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Santa Fe, Sedona
Level Contributor
9,657 posts
719 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour operators: big list--who do you recommend and why?

We are also big fans of Navajo Spirit. If you call them and tell them your particular interests...like photography for example they will give you a guide who knows cameras and the special sights. If you read the Reviews both on their site and on TA, you will find that people love certain guides for particular reasons...and you can request them ahead if time. The phone staff are great. They are also very responsive to questions on their e-mail...quick and very efficient.

I also remind everyone that the open jeeps get dusty and throw up sand if you are following close to other cars...bad for allergies and contacts. And unpleasant if its very hot. If anyone is hard of hearing, front seat or enclosed car is better.

Open car is nice if you are outdoorsy and don't care about any of those things.

October is Primo for MV and for the photographic light angles...good choice!

Edited: 03 February 2017, 02:02
Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour operators: big list--who do you recommend and why?

Thoroughly enjoyed our Navajo Spirit tour in September.... interesting and a complete tour....

www.virginia2utah.blogspot.com

We also LOVED staying our one night at the View..... amazing...

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
5,060 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour operators: big list--who do you recommend and why?

I've toured Monument Valley with Goulding's Lodge several times and enjoyed it every time.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour operators: big list--who do you recommend and why?

Can someone tell me approximate cost of a guided tour (per person) for Monument Valley? Does the cost of the tour include the admission fee? I think we are interested in taking the tour but need an idea of the cost. Many Thanks !

Kalispell, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Santa Fe, Sedona
Level Contributor
9,657 posts
719 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour operators: big list--who do you recommend and why?

Navajo Spirit Tours

www.navajospirittours.com

Navajo Spirit Tours

Please scroll up to my post #4 above for the reasons why we love them. Cost depends on which tour you choose.

If you are in a rental car, you cannot take it onto the 17 mile drive. If you are in your own high clearance car, the $ admission fee allows access to that drive. I am having a brain camp on whether or not the tours include the admission fee. I do seem to recall we paid admission, stayed at the View and the tour $ was for us, prepaid and separate. Others will verify.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
40 posts
611 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tour operators: big list--who do you recommend and why?

I did 2 tours with Navajo Spirit and Will Cowboy as the guide. Cannot say enough great things about both tours. I especially enjoyed Will's commentary on Navajo life and culture that he wove into the tours.

I stayed 2 nights in one of the View cabins on the edge of the valley...magical. Do get up for the sunrise, it is special.

Breakfast at Goulding's Lodge was wonderful and try the fry bread. I wasn't impressed with food at The View.

You will love Mt. Valley!

10. Re: Tour operators: big list--who do you recommend and why?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2018, 06:18