We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April Itinerary Questions

Syosset, New York
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
April Itinerary Questions

Hello

Im in in the beginning stages of pulling together an itinerary for southern UT and wanted some feedback advice. Flying in/out of LV, renting an SUV and will be travelling with my family...my wife and i are 45 and kids 16 & 12.....we enjoy hiking etc and had a great time in sedona/grand canyon in april 2014 (and got some great tips here, especially from Redrox)

we arrive LV sunday 4/9 11a and depart LV monday 4/17 at 125pm

we entered the lottery for the wave for 4/10, 11, 12 so that might require some alterations to the plan. my 16 year old has started to assemble a wish list....the narrows, antelope canyon, not sure if a rafting trip out of page is worth the time, coral pink sand dunes (figured we could rent ATVs and do a guided excursion), zion, bryce, arches, monument valley etc

as i lay out the days it seems pretty compact and wasnt sure how much time to put in....after reading some of the comments, it also seems like keeping a central base in kanab might not be the best play and the reco seems to be moving hotels so we can be closer to the parks and get a fuller day/experience......on the day we arrive i would like to also include time to drive the strip, hit an "in n out" for lunch (im from NY and this is my west coast ritual) and visit the hoover dam

can someone advise the best plan and any changes to what im thinking in the below

sunday 4/9 - arrive vegas 11a....collect bags, rental car grab lunch, cruise strip go to hoover dam......then drive to springdale for hotel (sunday night and monday night)

monday 4/10 - guided tour of the narrows. - do we have time to explore other areas of zion?

tuesday 4/11 - coral pink sand dunes ATV guided tour, possibly a short hike then drive to page for hotel (tuesday night/wednesday night)

wednesday 4/12 - antelope canyon in morning or afternoon.....is it possible to do rafting 1/2 day tour the other half of the day? if not, recos?

thursday 4/13 - drive to moab and hit monument valley on way, then natural bridges.....what else can we hit that day that will get us to moab by evening? (stay in moab thurs/fri night)

friday 4/14 - day in arches

saturday 4/15 - canyonlands then drive to kanab (stay kanab sat/sun night)

sunday 4/16 - grand staircase and anything we missed nearby

monday 4/17 - leave early am for LV flight at 125p

im not sure if the above is the optimal use of time but am trying to squeeze in as much as possible while not constantly in a car....also wanted to be able to work my way back west so we dont have a 6+ hour drive to LV on the day we fly home.....

thanks so much in advance!

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
19,095 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: April Itinerary Questions

Hoover Dam is in the opposite direction from Zion. If you want to see a dam, consider Glen Canyon at Page. Very similar to Hoover, cheaper to tour, less crowded and it has a bridge in front of it just like Hoover.

You really don't need a guide for the Narrows. The route is in the river and impossible to get lost.(although I bet someone has!) April is typically when high runoff is. I would not get my hopes up of the Narrows being open,but it all depends on weather and snowpack.

If its not open, there are plenty of other hikes.

Coral Pink is a fun place to ride. Also look into sandboarding by contacting the park office or an ATV concessionaire.

Rafting in Page starts in March. April weather can be all over the place, so maybe an afternoon trip for warmer temps.Be sure to see Horseshoe Bend.

From Moab, consider heading past Little Wild Horse slot and see Capitol Reef and Torrey. Then take scenic Hwy 12 to Bryce.You can see more of the Grand Staircase Region by doing this route rather than trying to see it from Kanab. The Grand Staircase is a massive region, and not a particular place.

Edited: 19 December 2016, 21:42
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
19,701 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: April Itinerary Questions

I think your flow on this itinerary is way off. Plus you are trying to cram a lot in to a short period of time. I think you are seriously under estimating the driving distances between these destinations. Additionally, you won't have time to go to Hoover Dam on your arrival day. It's in the opposite direction of Springdale. You are also skipping Bryce Canyon NP.

You don't just "hit" Monument Valley on the way to somewhere else. Sure you can do a drive by and a brief photo op. But the best time of day at Monument Valley is sunset and sunrise. You really need an overnight there.

The Grand Staircase is huge with most of it inaccessible by passenger car. If drive from Bryce to Torrey on highway 12, you will see some of it from viewpoints on the way.

The logical flow for this itinerary, with minimum night stays, would be: Las Vegas > Bryce Canyon (1 night) > Capitol Reef (1 night) > Moab (3 nights) > Monument Valley (1 night) > Page (2 nights - if you are doing a rafting trip, otherwise 1 night) > Zion NP (2 nights) > Las Vegas That's 10 nights. You only have 8 nights. Trying to include Moab and Monument Valley is a bit of a problem because of the distance from Las Vegas.

If you haven't done so already, you need to look at a good printed map of the area. That's the only way you are going to get the big picture of how these destinations relate to each and what the logical flow is for the itinerary. Additionally, if you are using GoogleMaps for reference and looking at drive times provided, be advised that those drive times are for wheels turning - no stops whatsoever. You should add at least 30% to those drive times.

Syosset, New York
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: April Itinerary Questions

fantastic advice both....appreciate that...will try and map out a new itinerary to see how to use the above flow in 8 nights

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,537 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: April Itinerary Questions

Well, had a full reply going on your other post but just lost it. You have really good background here. Key things were skipping Hoover Dam and seeing dam at Page. You also don't realistically have time to do anything in Moab for the amount of time you're spending there. I would recommend you not include Moab. But if you do, then skip Kanab and stop in Escalante to explore Grand Staircase.

Finally, run this in Google Maps. I think you'll find that Salt Lake City may work out better as a gateway than Las Vegas.

Have fun.

Syosset, New York
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: April Itinerary Questions

sorry about that

airfare to LV was much cheaper and had better timing than SLC....

taking all the advice and trying to re-craft (and sadly omit)

thanks all!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,043 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: April Itinerary Questions

Thanks for the nod on your Sedona trip. I'm going to agree with Connie and T&C, you don't really have enough time for Moab. Skip it on the trip and save it for next time. You could spend most of a week there.

If you win the Wave lottery then you have the perfect trade off. But even without it, Moab is too far away.

The raft trip at Page in April takes place mid day, so it's effectively an all day commitment. Days are still short and early mornings and late afternoon will be chilly.

Monument Valley needs an overnight. Book the View or Gouldngs ASAP. You could cram Natural Bridges into the same day, but as I said, getting to Moab is just too far and Moab deserves more time. You're missing Bryce, though you mentioned it in the OP. Logically it should follow Zions.

Syosset, New York
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: April Itinerary Questions

thanks redrox! (and everyone)....that was the purpose of the OP....to kind of get a sense of how ambitious/unrealistic it was.....im going to see if i can book a long stretch of nights at either of those 2 hotels now and know i can always cancel the nights i dont need so i have some flex....

so let me ask a (lazy) new question.....if i had 8 nights/9 days in/out of LV....what would be the ideal flow so i can get bryce, zion, page, monument valley and anything else you would reco as "Must see/do"...bearing in mind we would like some hiking mixed in (certainly not expert, but def a little more than light beginners)....the opportunity to hike the wave if we win the lottery, the narrows if water levels permit it, coral pink sand dunes and anything else that you reco....thanks!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,701 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: April Itinerary Questions

From my post #2:

"The logical flow for this itinerary, with minimum night stays, would be: Las Vegas > Bryce Canyon (1 night) > Capitol Reef (1 night) > Moab (3 nights) > Monument Valley (1 night) > Page (2 nights - if you are doing a rafting trip, otherwise 1 night) > Zion NP (2 nights) > Las Vegas"

All you need to do is take out the 3 nights in Moab. Add the extra night to Zion NP. If you decide not to the raft trip out of Page, add that night to Bryce.

There's plenty of hiking in Bryce, Capitol Reef and Zion.

Edited: 20 December 2016, 16:35
Syosset, New York
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: April Itinerary Questions

thanks connie...as im playing around with timings im trying to be in the kanab area the 1st few days in case we get the lottery for the wave...so was thinking along these lines:

arrive LV>Zion (2 nights) > Page (1 night...daughter isnt jazzed about rafting) > monument valley (1 night) > Capitol Reef (1 night)>Bryce Canyon (1 night)>drive to LV

this leaves me with 2 extra nights....where should i tack one on?.....is it worth adding a night to monument valley so i can spend the day driving to torrey and make any stops along the way? or same idea but from torrey to bryce? or both? hope that makes sense

thx

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,701 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: April Itinerary Questions

That flow works as well. For the sake of information - the rafting trip on the Colorado River isn't white water rafting if that's an issue for your daughter. It's a smooth float, no rapids, through the Glen Canyon of the Colorado River. But up to you if you do this.

Monument Valley is probably going to be your most expensive hotel night. You could use an extra night in Torrey (Capitol Reef), Bryce and/or Zion. But I would definitely add an additional night to Bryce since you probably won't arrive there until later in the day after driving highway 12 and you have a longer drive back to Las Vegas the next day. Probably add the second night to Torrey to allow time to visit Capitol Reef. If you wanted to take a night away from Las Vegas, you could add it to Zion.

Edited: 20 December 2016, 17:51