We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Waco- fly into Dallas or Austin ?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
35,189 posts
508 reviews
To Waco- fly into Dallas or Austin ?

Flying Delta and see lots of flights to both Dallas and Austin. Which is best in terms of traffic and travel times?

This is not during football season but probably late July.

15 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,742 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: To Waco- fly into Dallas or Austin ?

All things equal Austin. Smaller airport than DFW. Road construction in Ft. Worth is pretty bad.

Check Southwest. They have non-stop and one stops to either Love Field or Austin Bergstrom.

Both can have bad traffic, so better to time arrival away from rush hour.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
35,189 posts
508 reviews
2. Re: To Waco- fly into Dallas or Austin ?

Thanks. Have been to Dallas area and to Houston and San Antonio many times so may look at flying into Austin.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
104 reviews
3. Re: To Waco- fly into Dallas or Austin ?

Hey PeachBelle.. We were in Austin airport back in March...lovely, manageable. In Waco too..Magnolia shops..unmanageable...huge crowds, go late. Loved seeing fossils at Mammouth park..

McGregor, TX
Level Contributor
826 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: To Waco- fly into Dallas or Austin ?

We fly in to and out of DFW. The road construction in Fort Worth is bad, but so is the road construction south of Waco. My opinion only, but I'd rather drive on the FW-Waco stretch of I35 than the Georgetown-Waco stretch, especially around Temple and Troy.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
35,189 posts
508 reviews
5. Re: To Waco- fly into Dallas or Austin ?

Thanks for the info. Will check prices for both airports and car rental rates too!!

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,361 posts
28 reviews
6. Re: To Waco- fly into Dallas or Austin ?

The Temple area is a disaster driving through on 35. It's too bad the tollroad doesn't extend up to Waco.

Level Contributor
1 post
48 reviews
7. Re: To Waco- fly into Dallas or Austin ?

Construction between Austin and Waco is pretty bad, however Austin is a cool place to visit. I don't know if that's a consideration to you or not.

1 post
8. Re: To Waco- fly into Dallas or Austin ?

Why not fly into WACO? We are heading there in July and I was curious as to why you'd pick Austin or Dallas. Thanks!

McGregor, TX
Level Contributor
826 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: To Waco- fly into Dallas or Austin ?

Good question, Diana R. :) I thought about suggesting it to the OP, but she said she was flying Delta. American (American Eagle) is the only airline with flights into and out of Waco at the current time, and they only fly to DFW and back.

I do fly out of Waco sometimes, and typically prefer to do that for convenience sake. It usually adds $125 to the cost of the ticket, but sometimes randomly is cheaper than flying from DFW. However, for me there are usually other factors.

The planes are smaller and fly at a lower altitude to make the round trip to DFW. Besides bumpier flights (my kids' reason to hate flying out of Waco) this translates into more weather related delays or cancelled flights out of the Waco airport when connecting flights from DFW are continuing on. The last time we tried flying out of Waco (last Thanksgiving when my daughter was flying) the flight was delayed while the connecting flight was on time... we had to jump in the car and high tail it to DFW so she could make the connecting flight. American did not refund the cost of the ticket from Waco to DFW since the flight did actually go, eventually.

Also, the connections are sometimes very long. Personally, I'd rather drive from DFW to Waco and get home sooner rather than wait around DFW for a connecting flight.

But for an unhurried, relaxed trip, I always at least consider flying from Waco.

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
4,374 posts
790 reviews
10. Re: To Waco- fly into Dallas or Austin ?

I would go through Dallas, more flights in and out and generally better rental car prices, thought in terms of driving it's about the same in terms of time.

Reply to: To Waco- fly into Dallas or Austin ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Waco