We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food poisoning scams - it's a crime, stupid

north west england
Level Contributor
4,264 posts
544 reviews
Food poisoning scams - it's a crime, stupid

You can go to prison for this fraud as for any other.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40348282

Carnoustie, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Food poisoning scams - it's a crime, stupid

Here is a report from the Daily Mail ............... it is getting really bad now with people trying to scam the hotels / tour operators , but what is worse now is claims companies have set up in resorts telling tourists to make claims ....... false or otherwise .

Did get a bug about 15 years ago in Tenerife in a hotel in the North and at that time guests were falling like nine pins ........ but the company nor the hotel refused to take any blame . Saying instead it was brought to the hotel by a guest .

Stayed for a week and my wife and I were both ill , and we had only ate in the hotel up to the point of falling ill .

So sadly it does happen ..................... but the cry wolf brigade are going to destroy it for the rest of genuine holiday makers .

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4623434/Hotels-…

scotland
Level Contributor
20,370 posts
366 reviews
2. Re: Food poisoning scams - it's a crime, stupid

Its the new whip lash scam and its been reported that people are getting calls now to ask if they have been ill on holiday

London, United...
10 posts
3. Re: Food poisoning scams - it's a crime, stupid

Yeah saw this in the paper this morning. Scum, the lot of them, messing things up for everyone, not to mention giving us Brits a bad name in general. I hate when this kind of crap happens, People trying to earn an honest living being cheated by these cockroaches trying to get something for nothing. Disgusting is an understatement, anyone caught doing this should be punished harshly.

north east
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
82 reviews
4. Re: Food poisoning scams - it's a crime, stupid

Jet 2 are using private investigators, here is an ITV clip showing how they operate abroad.

itv.com/news/…

Crawley, England...
Level Contributor
446 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Food poisoning scams - it's a crime, stupid

It does go on but the papers and tv are exaggerating it don't believe everything you read in the mail or express some hotels are using it to put prices up

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
881 posts
268 reviews
6. Re: Food poisoning scams - it's a crime, stupid

years ago they used to call it Spanish tummy and you got on with it now people are just out to make a fast buck. Do they not realise it's so wrong and by doing this all British Will be all tarred with the one stick. Liars and cheats. I can understand why hotel owners would put up prices or bar Brits from the hotel.

Devon, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
7. Re: Food poisoning scams - it's a crime, stupid

Had a claim company call us at home. Safe to say I told the chap I'd had a lovely time at the hotel thank you very much and perhaps the should go forth and rethink his choice of employment lol

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
137 reviews
8. Re: Food poisoning scams - it's a crime, stupid

Saw today in the press that some tour companies are considering banning British holidaymakers from AI holidays because of this.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,451 posts
1,969 reviews
9. Re: Food poisoning scams - it's a crime, stupid

This scam has cost Hotel companies a lot of money..especially in Majorca..it spreads like wild fire..

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
23,854 posts
292 reviews
10. Re: Food poisoning scams - it's a crime, stupid

https:/…holiday-sickness

Get answers to your questions about Playa de las Americas