We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice Needed b4 Booking - Caribe or Hotel PortAdventura

Which Salou hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Advice Needed b4 Booking - Caribe or Hotel PortAdventura

Hi

Which hotel out of the Hotel Caribe or Hotel PortAdventura would you recommend for 2 adults and 2 children (2 and 5)

Which has got the nicest rooms? We like a high standard of hotel when we go on holiday, but it's hard to decide on these two hotels, would they be an equivalent 3 star in the UK?)

(for example on the official site on the Caribe the mention a standard, superior and San Juan room) but on Thomas Cook they are just offering one room type but do not mention which one it is.

Which hotel has got the best pools especially for children?

Which hotel has got the best entertainment for children and also food quality?

Do the rooms have a safety deposit box/safe?

How far a walk is it from the Hotel PortAdventura to the water park, it's the location of this hotel that is making it stand out but I am unsure if it's worth £400 more, especially when the Caribe has just been refurbished.

Sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure I cover all bases before I book this week.

Many Thanks

Ian

edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice Needed b4 Booking - Caribe or Hotel PortAdventura

The water park is 30 seconds from portaventura hotel, the food is good and the same standard in both hotels as are the rooms but I would say the caribe is the nicest out of both especially the pool area but portaventura hotel is in a better location for the park and water park. You get a safe in both hotels for free. I would say the caribe is the best for your needs and you can use the facilities of the other hotels with your card and eat your evening meal in the other hotels if you want. I would say the caribe is a very good 3 star but the pool area is 4 star.

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice Needed b4 Booking - Caribe or Hotel PortAdventura

4* in Spain is not equal to 4* in Ireland. The rooms in Portaventura had a refurb last year and apparently Caribe this year. You will not spend much time in your room. Both hotels offer premium rooms at an large extra cost.

Entertainment is for young kids and is the same in both hotels.

I found the food in Portaventura to be nicer but both are similar and have a great selection. You can also use the "dine around" option in other hotels buffet/ a la carte restaurants and park restaurants.

The water park is beside the theme park so literally a few of minutes walk from the hotel port Aventura.

The Caribe has a more relaxing feel to it, it is a little nearer Salou. To get to the theme park it is a 10 min up hill walk but there is a regular land train provided. The portaventura has a great athmosphere and its location is prime for dipping in and out of the park.

If you plan on spending a lot of time in the park go for the Portaventura if you want an all around holiday with plenty of relaxation go for the Caribe.

The hotels tend to be quiet during the day as people head into the park. The kids club would also be low on the uptake as many people don't bother with it.

You tend to get more characters appearing during the day in hotel Portaventura.

We love the portaventura hotel but I would not pay an extra 400e for it. To be honest I don't think you can make a wrong choice. Have you checked out the all inclusive in El paso?

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice Needed b4 Booking - Caribe or Hotel PortAdventura

Forgot to add, safes are provided in your room along with a fridge included in your accommodation cost. There is no kettle so bring your own travel one. A buggy is a must for your two year old and if your 5 year old finds the park hard going you can hire out a trolly to push them around.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice Needed b4 Booking - Caribe or Hotel PortAdventura

Many thanks for your help. Just a few more questions please. I am leaning toward the Hotel PortAdventura because of its proximity to the park and water park meaning that we can easily walk back and forth, rather than walking / catching the land train especially when it's hot. However it is £350 more expensive than the Caribe!

Does the Hotel PortAdventura have a shallow entry pool for children, or is it just one depth?

Is there a recommended area of the Hotel PortAdventura that we should ask to stay in?

What hotel has the best pool especially for 2 young children

Are the newly refurbed rooms in the Caribe nicer/larger than the Hotel PortAdventura?

Is the Hotel PortAdventura noisy as it is close to the Park?

Which of the two hotels would you say would be the best choice for my 2 girls (2 and 5) in terms of pool, enterainment, location etc.

How much would a taxi cost into Salou from Hotel PortAdventura?

How do you get from the airport reus to the hotel. Thomas Cook want £100 for a bus transfer which I thought was a little steep especially when it will most probably be dropping people off at other hotels etc

edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice Needed b4 Booking - Caribe or Hotel PortAdventura

A taxi costs 8-10 euro from portaventura hotel, there is noise coming from the park but you get used to it. Both hotels have shallow entry into the pools but like I said the sand pool at caribe is perfect for younger kids. The rooms in both hotels are quite large so no problem with space. A taxi from airport return will only cost 80 euro max so 100 pound is steep. I would ask for a room close to reception.

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice Needed b4 Booking - Caribe or Hotel PortAdventura

Re the bus transfer, that's a crazy price. Plana bus do a return trip for around 10e per person return or you can get a taxi for approx. 30e each way. A taxi from Pa hotel into Salou cost between 8 and 10 euro but there are five of us.

The PA hotel is not noisy, you do hear furious baco and some of the screams from it and the fireworks but that's about it and it is not intrusive and I have only heard it in the grounds, didn't notice elsewhere.

Some if not all of the pools are gradual. The Caribe has a beach pool which is lovely, its grounds are fabulous.

As I said the entertainment is the same in both hotels,but its out door in the "town square" in Portaventura and its indoor in Caribe. I prefer the outdoor option.

There are lots of great shows in the park and its open until midnight in peak season. If you plan on going into the park most days and in the evenings the easier option is Portaventura.

The first time we went we stayed in the Caribe and my children were disappointed when I booked Pa for the next trip but they loved it even more.

I think the Caribe may offer a more balanced holiday, its grounds are really well themed and has a very relaxed athmosphere while Pa is in my opinion more fast paced and park influenced, the park always seems to be calling you in!!

Honestly you will not go wrong with either!

Wales
Destination Expert
for Salou
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice Needed b4 Booking - Caribe or Hotel PortAdventura

Although the Caribe is a nice hotel, I much prefer Hotel Portaventura. It's much more attractive IMO and more convenient for the theme and water park. The food is good and the pools are very relaxing.

We will be staying there for the 7th time this year.

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice Needed b4 Booking - Caribe or Hotel PortAdventura

I prefer the Caribe Hotel. I have worked in the three older hotels as a rep and although I absolutely love the Portaventura Hotel, the Caribe has a stunning ''beach'' pool area and a lovely heated indoor pool. It's close enough that it only takes minutes to get to the park but far away enough to be able to relax by the pool with peace and quiet. When I worked there the customers were able to eat in any of the hotels, not sure if this is possible now but if it is you can always go and eat in the other hotels to see which you prefer for next time!! My family came out to see me and stayed at the Caribe, my nephew (2/3 at the time) absolutely loved the beach at the Caribe as he could just run in and out while we lay nearby and watched.

If you want to be in the park all the time then I would go for the Portaventura hotel because you can pretty much just walk in, the hotel has a totally different feel with it's mediterranean theme, slightly more wintery for my liking as I get more of a summer feel at the Caribe! But still a lovely hotel, both hotels were well liked by customers and had very little complaints.

As for your questions, a few years ago a taxi from the hotel to Salou was around 6 euro but this may have gone up, I also remember standard taxis were around 30 to the airport each way.

UK
Level Contributor
256 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice Needed b4 Booking - Caribe or Hotel PortAdventura

Does any one know if you can use te pools of the portaventura if staying at the caribe and vice versa?

edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice Needed b4 Booking - Caribe or Hotel PortAdventura

Yes and gold river hotel, all are great pool areas but all different theme