We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monarch hand luggage !

Which Benalmadena hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Midlands...
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Monarch hand luggage !

Just found out by checking their web site, you can now carry on board 1 bag (10kgs) 'plus' a standard size carrier bag with airport purchases, last trip in March the few goods i purchased from Boots had to fit in my hand luggage, i knew this before flying, but other travellers didn't..

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,537 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monarch hand luggage !

A word of caution though; if you're on a charter flight (flight code starting MON) then you still only get 5kg hand luggage. Whereas if you are on a scheduled flight (flight code starting ZB) then yes you do get 10kg hand luggage.

This policy has been in place for certainly four or five years as I recall and hasn't changed recently. Also do note they are strict on hand luggage conforming to size AND weight restrictions, details can be seen on the link below.

http://www.monarch.co.uk/faq/flights/baggage

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monarch hand luggage !

The generous 10kg as been given for quite a few years on ZB, but its the 'addition' of the carrier bag that is new' as mentioned last trip even my reading book had to go in my hand luggage, other travellers with airport purchases were frantically trying to fit stuff in their bags/pockets, does anyone know how long the extra carrier bag as been allowed?.. x

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
874 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monarch hand luggage !

Rose, I've aways caried my airport purchases in the carrier bag along with my handbag (which is normally a portmanteau) lol, and never been stopped/questioned in all the years I have used Monarch.................yet, fingers crossed.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,464 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monarch hand luggage !

Online check-in is a delight, I quite often have 17-18kg in my hand-luggage.

The gate-staff in the UK are much more ar$ey than those at AGP though - last time I flew back to the UK it was like a scene from 'Airplane' as people were boarding - rucksacks, guitars etc etc. None of this would have got past the eagle-eyes at Gatwick. The cabin-crew were horrified.

Serves them right for charging £32 for hold luggage.

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
874 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monarch hand luggage !

It's the same at Manchester, however Monarch have once again said they are starting clamp down on oversized cabin luggage, will be interested to see if they do.

NSG, they must have a promotion on today as we got £9 discount on each case both outbound and inbound :-))

UK
Level Contributor
365 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monarch hand luggage !

<<The gate-staff in the UK are much more ar$ey than those at AGP though >>

Ah..........the "Luggagemeisters"! - Bless them!

They seem to be becoming less popular than Traffic Wardens these days!

Dave

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,941 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monarch hand luggage !

Ah, the joys of flying!

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monarch hand luggage !

We fly from Birmingham, and always bought branded stuff from Boots, to take out with us for a long stay, but after the 'only 1 piece of hand luggage saga' did not take the chance last trip..at the boarding gate 10mins to board loads of travellers with carrier bags, were so shocked when it was announced "only 1 piece allowed! then a member of staff actually walked down the queue to check, lots of bags not zipped up but nothing said about that, also noticed ladies putting handbags under coats :-)

On our return from AGP i could not believe the size of hand luggage some folks carried on board, so it must have been booked online :-)

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,940 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monarch hand luggage !

Easyjet were supposed to be getting very strict on hand luggage too. I use a CPAP machine which must be taken in the cabin and so as its medical equipment I can take it on as extra hand luggage but I always email Easyjet before I fly to get it confirmed in writing because I worry that they may stop me one day and put my main hand luggage into the hold!

Like Rosebush, I've seen other people getting on a flight with huge hand luggage plus all their duty free (usually more than 1 bag each!!) and some people have roll on hand luggage that is much bigger than the size of the regulation ones! I'm paranoid about getting the right sized bag and always measure mine when its got things in it to make sure its not over size.

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,046 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monarch hand luggage !

have to say cabin luggage will create more problems as NSG points out more people are booking on line and going straight to departure gate with hand luggage.

caused a huge row on a flight out of LBA last year when my partner and I were being handed our cabin luggage by cabin crew as it was small and could be put at our feet, so some huge cases could be put in the luggage lockers. I advised the cabin staff that as I had paid for hold luggage was not prepared to be cramped all flight by someone who was not prepared to pay.

My view was that this cabin luggage was too big and heavy and should be in the hold, as I had reserved my seats, paid for hold luggage and taken only 3kg each on board I had done my bit to enjoy the limited leg room.

The other party refused to have the luggage moved into hold. Fortunately common sense prevailed and a member of ground crew bought onboard some scales, bags weighted 14kgs each, max 10kgs, put in hold.

Cabin crew stated would have put luggage on the seats if any free, rather than upset the customer