We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food Ideas Downtown - Mexican & Tex/Mex

Which Dallas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
148 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Food Ideas Downtown - Mexican & Tex/Mex

My daughter and I are traveling next week and next month to Dallas. We are staying downtown near the convention center. I am a serious foodie. We live in Washington,DC and have excellent food. We even have a chain 5 minutes away - Uncle Julios. I am looking for homemade (hot) salsa, homemade tortillas, etc. I know that traditionally food near convention centers is sports bar food and fancy places like Ruths Cris. Can anyone help with ideas for a good representation of the area? We can take a cab a bit away for a compelling choice. I really can eat Mexican or Tex/Mex almost every night. A good margarita is a plus as I am not driving. Thanks in advance. My daughter is in the junior olympics for fencing and we are very excited!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food Ideas Downtown - Mexican & Tex/Mex

There are quite a few Mexican Restaurants downtown. Iron Cactus on Main Street is really nice and serves good Mexican food. It's around the corner from The Adolphus Hotel. If you like chicken fried steak go to Walt Garrison's in the Adolphus Hotel. RJ's is on Market Street not far N of the CC. I prefer Iron Cactus.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,446 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food Ideas Downtown - Mexican & Tex/Mex

I think you might prefer El Ranchito on Jefferson in Oak Cliff (a neighborhood of Dallas). http://www.elranchito-dallas.com/contact.php

If you'd like a taco stand, try El Si Hay on Davis - also in Oak Cliff.

For kitchy gringo Tex Mex, go to Chuy's on McKinney at Knox.

Blue Goose on Greenville Ave also makes tortillas on-site.

Taco Diner is an upscale place with some serious food. There are a couple of locations in Dallas - closest one to downtown is in the West Village near McKinney and Lemmon.

Mia's on Lemmon has good ole classic Tex Mex.

Sorry, but I'd skip Iron Cactus.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
148 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food Ideas Downtown - Mexican & Tex/Mex

Dear Pepper +,

Thanks for your replies. I am in search of authentic to the region....since I have Uncle Julio 5 min away....the homemade tortillas are a big draw. Since we are in town twice in just one month I have time to try out things....the El Ranchito is a bit out of the way since we must take a taxi...but, it seems wonderful. Thanks so much! I really like a very hot real homemade salsa...and enjoy the food so much. We are very excited to be coming to the area!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,446 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food Ideas Downtown - Mexican & Tex/Mex

Oh, sorry. I thought you were willing to take a taxi.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food Ideas Downtown - Mexican & Tex/Mex

"We can take a cab a bit away for a compelling choice."

Yep, that's what I read.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
148 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food Ideas Downtown - Mexican & Tex/Mex

We are willing to cab to a great location! I am so excited! We are coming twice to Dallas...this week for three nights and next month for another 3-4 nights. I really like great food and am delighted to have your personal thoughts. We are looking for sit down fun places after a long day of fencing - we hope to be able to bring along friends as well. Thanks again! Don't worry - we look forward to Tex/Mex and Mex as the restaurant specializes. We are familiar - we just want to have the best the area offers! Take care and we can't wait!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food Ideas Downtown - Mexican & Tex/Mex

loventravel, you keep mentioning Uncle Julio's as your idea of good Tex-Mex. Did you know that Dallas is their home? If you want to go there, there are several restaurants - one on Lemmon Avenue, and one on Dallas Parkway.

I love Chuy's on Knox, as mentioned earlier, and I also like the old El Fenix on the outskirts of town. Very different, but both good, IMO.

Texas
Level Contributor
323 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food Ideas Downtown - Mexican & Tex/Mex

if you are a serious foodie - you should try a few places besides Tex-Mex. Dallas has some wonderful restaurants. Just to name a few wonderful places to eat near downtown:

Abacus: get the ostrich steak and their desserts are wonderful

http://www.kentrathbun.com/abacus/dallas/

Mansion on Turtle Creek

http://www.mansiononturtlecreek.com/

Craft : craftrestaurant.com/craft_dallas_style.php

there are soooo many places to get good Tex-Mex here that it would take you months to eat at all of them

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food Ideas Downtown - Mexican & Tex/Mex

I second Abacus and The Mansion. I would also visit Dean Fearing's restaurant at the Ritz Carlton if possible.

Edited: 18 January 2011, 22:14
TX1
Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
4,696 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food Ideas Downtown - Mexican & Tex/Mex

I second Fearings in the RC - and they have a Guacamologist

preparing fresh guacamole every night at 6PM in the lobby - served with a mini-magarita!