We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tranfering through DFW

Bribie Island...
Level Contributor
69 posts
11 reviews
Tranfering through DFW

We are traveling to the USA for the first time in April from Australia. We are flying Qantas from Sydney to Miami, transferring through DFW. The flight from DFW to MIAi is Operated by American Airlines

Would love some info on the transfer process. I know we have to clear customs at DFW airport, which include collecting our luggage. How long does this process generally take and do we then have to recheck our luggage in at a departure counter or is there a place after Customs in Terminal D where we can hand them back in.

Thanks

17 replies to this topic
Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
134 reviews
1. Re: Tranfering through DFW

Yes, you return your luggage in D. Once you’re through customs, you can take the Skylink tram to your next flight’s gate. Look for the signs, since it is one level above the terminal. I’d allow an hour for the whole process.

Bribie Island...
Level Contributor
69 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: Tranfering through DFW

Thanks ChristieP .....great to hear :)

MJT
London
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,307 posts
39 reviews
3. Re: Tranfering through DFW

The most annoying thing about transferring through DFW is that you have to exit and then go through security again. Depending on the time of day you can whizz through the customs and immigration - I did it once in 35 mins. As you exit the arrivals hall if you've been checked through to MIA from SYD then just hand the cases the American Airlines people on the right. If you've bought any duty free which exceeds the 100ml size that's the time you need to pack it in your luggage. If you need to checkin or have missed the connection there are AA ticket counters.

At this point you exit Airside and arrive in the USA. You then need to go back through security before getting on the Skylink to your next flight gate. There is often a queue of people at that security point. If you face the security gate and walk to your left through the checkin counter area you will find another security entry area which can be less busy.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Tranfering through DFW

Are you on one ticket...Sydney to Miami with a connection in Dallas...or did you purchase two separate tickets?

With one ticket, you would be given a flight based upon a minimum connection time for that airport, and I would hope you have at LEAST a full hour or more. If you are not, American will then put you on the next available flight to Miami. International to domestic should have a three hour window...but airlines do not always follow that.

IF however, you have booked two separate tickets on your own, I would hope to have a 4 to 6 hour difference, if not more. One thing nice about DFW, though, is that within the security areas, you will find a decent assortment of restaurants and comfortable places to wait around. I can't remember which terminal (maybe C) or gate, but there is an area that has a very comfortable quiet darkened area with nice big chairs...and charging outlets.

Dallas
Level Contributor
3,856 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: Tranfering through DFW

A few edits on the above replies:

"Once you’re through customs, you can take the Skylink tram to your next flight’s gate...I’d allow an hour for the whole process." In between Customs and Skylink, you must also go back through the TSA (Security) check point. Most folks recommend at least two hours for this whole process. Three is even better.

"The most annoying thing about transferring through DFW is that you have to exit and then go through security again." This has nothing to do with DFW per se. It is a requirement at ALL U.S. airports if you are arriving from a non-Pre-Clearance international airport. DFW, LAX, IAH: doesn't matter.

Bribie Island...
Level Contributor
69 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: Tranfering through DFW

Thanks Everyone.....thats great information.

We are on a single ticket, with Qanta's code sharing with AA and have a 3hr 45 min layover in Dallas (arriving 1pm, leaving 4:45), but would love enough time to have a meal as there is no food on our flight to Miami & the Hotel near the airport we are booked in for the night dont have an onsite restaurantt. We dont really want to go wandering around a strange town/country at 9pm at night looking for somewhere to eat :)

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
17 reviews
7. Re: Tranfering through DFW

If you get the app Gate Guru, it is a decent app for services in terminals.... restaurants, shops, etc.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
134 reviews
8. Re: Tranfering through DFW

Every Terminal in DFW has plenty of food options. For the most sit-down restaurant choices, go to Terminal D. There is a good Irish pub style restaurant and Cool River Cafe. There is also a Pappadeaux Cajun restaurant in Terminal A thats really good.

I wouldn’t recommend leaving the airport with such a short time after clearing customs.

Dallas
Level Contributor
3,856 posts
21 reviews
9. Re: Tranfering through DFW

Since you arrive at Terminal D and will reenter through security in Terminal D, it makes the most sense to just eat there or get something "to go" while there. Transfer to other terminals via Skylink is typically no more than a 15 minute operation, including walking to your gate.

Do be sure to keep an eye on the Departure boards, though. AA may change your departure gate and you'll want to know that so you don't end up at the wrong one..

Edited: 15 February 2018, 02:47
Bribie Island...
Level Contributor
69 posts
11 reviews
10. Re: Tranfering through DFW

Thanks again guys....this has been very helpful

Reply to: Tranfering through DFW
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted