We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any tips for airlines from Dallas to Europe in low season?

Dallas
Level Contributor
69 posts
162 reviews
Any tips for airlines from Dallas to Europe in low season?

Hope everyone is having a great afternoon! I like to travel to Europe about once a year during the off-season (I'm not a fan of huge crowds). I used to travel a lot for work and generally flew American, but I don't have status any longer and I've used a fair amount of my miles so I'm not tied to them. On American, it seems they steer travelers to Europe from Dallas through London (from where you will pick up BA to transfer to wherever you are going). I know AA also flies non-stop to Paris, Madrid, and Frankfurt during the low season, but it seems more difficult to pick up one of AA's partners at those airports for the connecting flight.

Last month, I went to Venice and flew Lufthansa with a stop in Frankfurt, which worked fairly well. Earlier last year, I flew United to Lisbon with a stop in Newark, but United seems to have gone the AA route and is directing European travel through its partner Lufthansa now. Delta seems to be doing the same.

For my next trip in the winter of 2018, I'd love to go to Athens. I've done some initial searching on Google and Skyscanner, but the routes available from Dallas don't seem very accommodating. Since it's so early, I'm sure the routes aren't fully set. Regardless, if anyone has any general advice on flying to non-hub European cities from Dallas, I'd love to hear it! Thanks so much for any tips!

6 replies to this topic
Dallas
Level Contributor
3,860 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Any tips for airlines from Dallas to Europe in low season?

Consider adding DAL (Love Field) to your search efforts. From DAL, you could use Delta > ATL and onward with them and their partner airlines

Dallas
Level Contributor
69 posts
162 reviews
2. Re: Any tips for airlines from Dallas to Europe in low season?

Thanks!

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,275 posts
31 reviews
3. Re: Any tips for airlines from Dallas to Europe in low season?

Well, If you don't mind flying to NY first you could fly Emirates.

Or just fly BA from DFW to your final destination and connect at T3 at LHR and not have to do the AA/BA T3 to T5 transfer.

Edited: 10 January 2018, 19:19
Dallas
Level Contributor
69 posts
162 reviews
4. Re: Any tips for airlines from Dallas to Europe in low season?

Thanks! That's great advice! I really miss United's international routes through Newark - I did that a bunch and it made the transatlantic portion of the flight much shorter obviously; maybe Emirates has something similar so I will look. Flying BA is fine too; they just don't seem to have as many connecting options out of Heathrow, which shouldn't surprise me as they also fly out of several other London airports. I know I should have asked this question on the Air forum but many of those folks aren't quite as nice!

Dallas
Level Contributor
3,860 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: Any tips for airlines from Dallas to Europe in low season?

Icelandic and WOW have added service DFW > Reykjavik

Dallas
Level Contributor
69 posts
162 reviews
6. Re: Any tips for airlines from Dallas to Europe in low season?

Yes, thanks Sebastian. I saw that and checked WOW, but they only fly a few times a week based on the current schedule. Here's hoping they expand it! We need more choices out of DFW!

Reply to: Any tips for airlines from Dallas to Europe in low season?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted