We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insects and bugs

wisconsin
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Insects and bugs

Hello, We are planning a trip in late June and would like to know how the mosquitoes and other bugs are? Do I need to get stoch in bug spray?

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Insects and bugs

I would say, by June the insects should be out by then. I would recommend if you are bringing insect repellant, make sure it contains the ingredient DEEK or DEET, not sure which spelling is correct. One other thing I'd recommend, is if there are ladys, don't wear perfume, as that seems to attract skeeters and gnats.

Ray

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Insects and bugs

It's DEET. Stops the buggers in their tracks. Developed by the military. You can get bottles of 100% DEET spray, but you want to be careful with that stuff. I have a little mini bottle and spread just a little bit on and get zero bites.

That said, the spray won't keep the bugs from swirling around your face and body. You have to get active in the mornings and evenings to avoid that.

Tombstone, Arizona
Level Contributor
724 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Insects and bugs

Wisconsin: My first question would be, since you are apparently concerned about the bug situation in the GSMNP, do you have any specifically known allergic reaction for any type of sting that can be specifically attributed to any flying insect in the park. If you know of any, then you should bring along any preventative for that specific allergy.

So, if you plan on a hiking trip, be aware that there will be insects and bugs that are capable of attacking your system in such a way so as to cause the maximum of hurt and pain.

Now having said this, I do not think mosquitoes, which can transmit a number of viruses, but as of now have not been reported to have done so in the GSMNP, would be your enemy, Yes they can sting, but unless you are allergic, this should not be a concern. Mosquitoes follow your exhale. If you stop and talk, they will accumulate near your face, because of your breathing attracts them. So, keep moving, and they will not bother you.

On the other hand, if you like spraying all that non bio degradable chemical schlok on your arms and legs simply because it is available, and you might get stung by a mosquito, then I would warn you that the spray is probably more damaging than the small mosquito bite.

Just a little narrative on spray chemicals....Hope your visit is pleasant and the bugs avoid you.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
134 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Insects and bugs

A lot of it depends on what you consider to be too many bugs. Here in Arkansas, we joke that the skeeter is our state bird. We go to the Smokies in June and never even notice the bugs. It's like a reprieve for us from the nasty buggers here, lol.

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Insects and bugs

I have never had a problem with bugs in the Smokies in June. Now bears and snakes is another story haha j/k.

6. Re: Insects and bugs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2010, 05:16