We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is the Wood Grill Buffet?

Which Pigeon Forge hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Salem, Virginia
Level Contributor
326 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
How is the Wood Grill Buffet?

I notice in the newer couon books there are coupons for the Wood Grill Buffet. Does anyone know if it is good? I think it went in where the great american buffet was located.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
694 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How is the Wood Grill Buffet?

The Great American closed?! I know a lot of people on here hated it, but we were always kind of partial to it.

Prattville, Alabama
Level Contributor
937 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How is the Wood Grill Buffet?

When we were there at the end of February, there was a new sign sitting on the ground out by the old one that looked like it was just about ready to go up. It was still all "packaged" up, but you could tell it was about to go up and replace the Great American sign. I believe the new one said Western Sizzlin's Wood Grill Buffet.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How is the Wood Grill Buffet?

Western Sizzlin has a Wood Grill Buffet franchise:

http://www.woodgrillbuffet.com/splash.html

Might be worth a try!

Prattville, Alabama
Level Contributor
937 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How is the Wood Grill Buffet?

I just checked the DTS website, and Wood Grill *did* replace Great American and they are now open. I hope someone tries it out and reports back.

dininginthesmokies.com/_pigforge/wood_grill_…

Tombstone, Arizona
Level Contributor
678 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How is the Wood Grill Buffet?

I would certainly hope the new owners would at least clean the place up. The original owners were never accused of taking a broom or mop to the place. We also felt that the price was not in keeping with the quality of the food presented. Toward the end, the crowds eventually ended, and the end was in sight.

I suspect the handwriting was on the wall and the owners were not able to change the menu sufficiently to bring back the crowds.

This is however indicative of the current economy. This is not the only family type restaurant that has closed in the area, and I grudgingly expect that a few more are in the making.

Its the sign of the economic times.

Wakan Tanka Kici Un

unionville tenn.
Level Contributor
842 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How is the Wood Grill Buffet?

If it is like the Western Sizzlins i have been to it should be good.

Greenville, Ohio
Level Contributor
357 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How is the Wood Grill Buffet?

bump

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
745 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How is the Wood Grill Buffet?

We went to the Western Sizzlin Wood Grill Buffet tonight and tried it.WE DO NOT ADVISE YOU TO GO.This was the worse place we have ever eaten in PF!The steak was burned on the outside and raw on the inside.All meat on bar was dry and flavorless infact there was No flavor on any item on the bar and every thing was over done or raw.The cost with a cupon of 10% off was 40.44 total for 2 senior adults (13.99@) and 1 child (6.99)half cost for children plus a charge for every drink.The only thing eatable was the salad bar which was very limited on items.It was 6 pm when we arrived on Sunday night (tonight).

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How is the Wood Grill Buffet?

Thanks KETTERMN for the review. Be sure to put it in the restaurant reviews also, if you haven't done so already.

I remember when Western Sizzlin and Bonanza Steak House were great for an inexpensive steak and salad bar. Going in you knew you wouldn't get a $50 steak, but what they had was very good for the price.

Bob

va
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: How is the Wood Grill Buffet?

I ate there a couple weeks ago and I would have to say it was superb. I had heard about the one in Charlottesville, VA but this was the first time I had eaten at one

Get answers to your questions about Pigeon Forge