We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Preston VS. Holiday Inn Vanderbilt

North Jersey
Level Contributor
84 posts
5 reviews
Hotel Preston VS. Holiday Inn Vanderbilt

Booked for Holiday Inn Vanderbilt but uncovered an offer at Hotel Preston that would save me $300. Holiday Inn offers free shuttle which is a perk, if I stay at Preston I will uber to downtown. Four day trip, main interests include music venues, Gruehn and Carter guitars, Third Man Records, Studio B and Dukes of Hazard museum.

Any reason I should not change hotels and save $300? Thanks for your guidance.

6 replies to this topic
Music City, USA
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
5,091 posts
97 reviews
68 helpful votes
1. Re: Hotel Preston VS. Holiday Inn Vanderbilt

Figure $40 round trip from Preston to downtown. You'll have at least 4 of those for a 4 day trip so you're saving about $140, not $300, and that's assuming you only do one R/T per day. that works out to about $35/day. Personally, I'd pay the extra to get easier access to the restaurants and stuff near HI Vanderbilt. There's nothing in walking distance of Hotel Preston besides a not-so-great Mexican restaurant, a Subway, and a Dunkin Donuts.

Plus the HI Vandy has an on-site restaurant featuring live music that's usually pretty good.

Edited: 03 October 2018, 19:32
North Jersey
Level Contributor
84 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Hotel Preston VS. Holiday Inn Vanderbilt

Thanks for your input. I read on TA reviews of Hotel Preston that its about a 10 minute, $10-12 uber ride to downtown. We are leave in the morning and come back at night kinda travelers, and will likely eat downtown. You think my travel costs would be more than that? I understand it's not worth to spend more than the "save" commuting.

Music City, USA
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
5,091 posts
97 reviews
68 helpful votes
3. Re: Hotel Preston VS. Holiday Inn Vanderbilt

Add in a tip and you're about $30 R/T, so maybe I was estimating a bit. high. That's still cutting your savings from $300 to $180, or about $45 per day.

Only you can decide if the convenience of having restaurants, neighborhood bars, and a nice city park (Centennial Park with The Parthenon) within walking distance is worth that to you or not.

North Jersey
Level Contributor
84 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Hotel Preston VS. Holiday Inn Vanderbilt

Agreed, thank you so much

Nashville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
76 reviews
32 helpful votes
5. Re: Hotel Preston VS. Holiday Inn Vanderbilt

There is also a Vintage Guitar Shop in Donelson - Blues Vintage Guitars & More on McGavock Pike, just south of Lebanon Rd. (note: this street shows up as Knights Valley Dr on Google because they have made an error in renaming McGavock Pike - there is only one small portion of McGavock Pike that has recently been renamed KVD, the portion south of the airport from Murfreesboro Rd to Harding Pl - this will be necessary information for your ride share driver, who typically rely on Google Maps for navigation).

There really isn't much near the HP, it does sit next to a Mercedes dealership, but otherwise, it's a pretty blue color area with not much around.

https://www.bluesvintageguitars.com/

For Blues, it would be a quick ride share from the Hotel Preston, a bit more from the HIV - for Carters, you could walk from downtown, but you'ld probably want to ride share to Gruhn's, but the hotel shuttle may take you there (at least with a small tip to the driver), so you may only have to ride share one way.

Edited: 03 October 2018, 21:32
North Jersey
Level Contributor
84 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Hotel Preston VS. Holiday Inn Vanderbilt

Thank you, I will be sure to check out Blues too!

Reply to: Hotel Preston VS. Holiday Inn Vanderbilt
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted