We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short trip in February

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
161 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Short trip in February

Leaving from St. Louis, I will be travelling to Murfreesboro for an event in late February. The event I am attending is Friday through Sunday, but I will be leaving Thursday morning and leaving Monday morning since it is a 5 hour drive and want to be sure I am there for the whole event. I was trying to find a few things to fill my time on the way/way back in or around Murfreesboro. I have come across the Stone River National Battlefield, Oaklands Mansion, and Cannonsburgh Village in Murfreesboro and the Belle Meade Plantation in Nashville that sound interesting. Any other suggestions for things I'm missing that would be interesting/fun? Was thinking about a trail ride at a place I found in Shelbyville, but seeing as it will probably be freezing, that may not be an option! lol

2 replies to this topic
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short trip in February

I do love Murfreesboro (in the minority here!) but you pretty much covered the major attractions there. Stones River is wonderful and the Oaklands Mansion does a nice tour. The staff there are wonderful. Cannonsburgh Village is ok, but nothing spectacular. If you enjoy boutique shopping, their downtown square area has a bunch of great little independently own shops.

While in Murfreesboro, I highly recommend a visit to the Slick Pig. IMO, it is some of the more underrated BBQ in the region.

You may want to consider a half day in Franklin. It is a very quaint town with some terrific Civil War sites in the trio of the Carnton Plantation and the Carter and Lotz houses. Carnton is the most popular and fascinating tour if you can only do one. If you are driving between Murfreesboro and Franklin, consider a little detour to the Arrington Vineyards. You probably won't want to sit outside that time of year, but they have great wines and a lovely tasting room.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
161 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short trip in February

Thanks so much for your reply! I will look into those attractions in Franklin. I could probably fit that in one of those days. And I love BBQ, will have to try the Slick Pig.

Reply to: Short trip in February
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted