We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nashville in 1 day

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Nashville in 1 day

I am travelling to the US from Australia in in late December / early January. I know it is not ideal however I only have 1 full day in Nashville. I arrive at 10pm on the 28th December and fly out at 6.00am on the 30th December so it only leave me the 29th.

I am staying at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Downtown. I am wanting to visit the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum, Grand Ole Opry Tour and walk over the John Seigenthaler Pedestrian Bridge.

Is there anything else that I could potentially squeeze into the day? Thank you all in advance :-)

Mentioned in this post
Nashville
Nashville
Davidson County, TN
Grand Ole Opry
Grand Ole Opry
10,666 Reviews
Nashville, TN
John Seigenthaler Pedestrian Bridge
John Seigenthaler...
156 Reviews
Nashville, TN
8 replies to this topic
Music City, USA
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
4,389 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nashville in 1 day

For the "Grand Ole Opry tour", I'll assume you're talking about The Ryman. It's downtown and an excellent choice. Those 3 things will take about 3 or 4 hours of the day. You'll have plenty of time to hit the honky tonks. Those are bars along Broadway between 2nd and 5th Ave that have live music from the time they open around 10 or 11am until they close at 2am. Admission is free and you will have smaller crowds in January so it will be easy to try some out until you find one with a sound you like. Some tend to focus on current Top40 country, others on older sounds, others on bluegrass, and others on a blend like rockabilly. There are also some souvenir shops in that area. You may also have time to take one of the tours like the comedy bus tours, or one of the hop-on/hop-off buses. Pedal Taverns are also popular.

Nashville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nashville in 1 day

If it fits your budget, I would get tickets to the Grand Ole Opry Show for the evening of the 29th. It's an iconic show that has been around for 92 years and performs every Friday & Saturday night, year round. It will be in The Ryman Auditorium, which is only a couple of blocks from your hotel. Show time is 7:00 pm

Mentioned in this post
Grand Ole Opry
Grand Ole Opry
10,666 Reviews
Nashville, TN
Ryman Auditorium
Ryman Auditorium
10,630 Reviews
Nashville, TN
Music City, USA
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
4,389 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nashville in 1 day

+1 to that! The Grand Ole Opry is always a good idea. Plus it's a special treat to catch it at The Ryman. The Opry House is good, but The Ryman is amazing.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Ole Opry
Grand Ole Opry
10,666 Reviews
Nashville, TN
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nashville in 1 day

monkeylizard and Patrick K, thank you for responding. really appreciate it. Gives me something to go on with.

Music City, USA
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
4,389 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nashville in 1 day

I've thought about this a little more and this is how I think I'd do it: If you're still wide awake when you arrive then maybe go ahead and hit some honky tonks on the night of the 28th. They're about a 5 minute walk from your hotel. If not, no worries. You'll have time the next day.

On the 29th, get some rest and sleep in a bit. Most attractions don't open before 9-10am so there's no need to get an early start. Get some breakfast at the hotel or try Varallo's. It's near your hotel and the oldest continually operating restaurant in Nashville. Then head for the Country Music Hall of Fame. The RCA Studio B add-on is up to you. If you want to tour an actual recording studio where many hits were made, it's the only way to do it in Nashville. They'll take you by shuttle bus and bring you back. Be sure to check out Hatch Show Print while you're at the CMHOF. After that, it would either be lunch and a bus tour, or a bus tour first then lunch. Maybe try Martin's BBQ since it's close to the CMHOF. Some of the bus tours may be sold out, but you shouldn't have much trouble finding one with an available seat. I wouldn't try to pre-book one. Pick one that appeals to you. Some are comedy buses, some are about the songwriting history of the city, etc. The hop-on/hop-off buses (there are 2 with very similar offerings) will have a tour guide and will give you some flexibility if you want to check out something along the way, like our full-scale replica of the Greek Parthenon at Centennial Park or a distillery and brewery in Marathon Village. After you're done at an area, you just wait for the next hop-on-hop-off bus to come along. If a bus tour doesn't work out or doesn't interest you, I wouldn't sweat it too much. It just means more time in the honky tonks.

That would probably take you up to time to head back to your hotel for some freshening up. Then get an early dinner before the 7pm Grand Ole Opry (if you want to do this, get tickets ASAP).

After the Opry, either head back to your hotel and get some sleep before your early wake up call for your early flight, or if you're a night owl hit the honky tonks again. If you think you'd want to get to bed soon after the Opry is over because of your early flight, then you might skip the bus touring and spend the afternoon at the honky tonks. Then you could head back to the hotel after the Opry without feeling like you missed out on the honky tonks.

Mentioned in this post
Nashville
Nashville
Davidson County, TN
RCA Studio B
RCA Studio B
2,774 Reviews
Nashville, TN
Hatch Show Print
Hatch Show Print
515 Reviews
Nashville, TN
Martin's BBQ Restaurant
Martin's BBQ Restaurant
1,414 Reviews
Nashville, TN
The Parthenon
The Parthenon
3,745 Reviews
Nashville, TN
Centennial Park
Centennial Park
1,762 Reviews
Nashville, TN
Marathon Village
Marathon Village
533 Reviews
Nashville, TN
Grand Ole Opry
Grand Ole Opry
10,666 Reviews
Nashville, TN
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nashville in 1 day

monkeylizard,

I really appreciate the time you have put in to this reply for me.

I arrive around 10pm on the 28th so the plan was to go visit some honky tonks that night and what you have suggested for the 29th is almost what i had planned so i am happy to see that i am on the same page.

Thanks again! :-)

Carencro, Louisiana
Level Contributor
374 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nashville in 1 day

Subscribing!!

Edited: 13 November 2017, 21:54
Carencro, Louisiana
Level Contributor
374 posts